Ultra Sound in Waverly, Ohio on July 21st

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by wvbass, Jul 24, 2018.

1. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I almost always take two basses to a show. Number one is pretty much locked in, but I try to rotate my backup. I usually play my backup for the first set. Part of the fun for me comes from inspecting the fleet and picking the next backup. I have a few to choose from.
    5F6A4DBD-5C4A-423A-BD86-161907F5E2B2_zpsepljfawa.jpg
    6279D83D-A30C-49D0-87C5-217A8594BBB5_zpsas20q2mr.jpg
    051278BC-62F6-4D43-B7A2-B219D77D845C_zps7t5mlvue.jpg

This week is "new strings" week, and I have two sets of Dunlop Super Wounds ready to go. I've been told it I change strings the day of a show, my bass won't stay in tune, but I've never had a problem with that.
    9e447956-65b2-4e3c-a222-dc7279a0a84e_zpsj0iruyuw.jpg

Since I’m not carrying an amp, I have plenty of room. I have my pedalboard, a bunch of spare cables, both basses and a powered monitor.
    3A06A289-B1D3-4C2D-B332-D2CB5AC97ADA_zpsx6s26pjj.jpg

I really like not bringing a bunch of stage gear, but I still like my amp. My big cab sits in the garage, feeling a little lonely. It will see some stage time in a couple weeks.
    80764310-B7D3-4004-BD43-7234C0145883_zpsfjp0bnmy.jpg

The show was in Waverly, Ohio which is a couple hour drive from my house. We were playing at an animal lodge. This one was a Moose club. The West Virginia part of the drive has some hills, but it flattens out once you get into Ohio.
    A6758201-0602-4FBE-839A-4D3D2A7D68EE_zpsqz8ktnkv.jpg
    C32E7C23-A411-4B7C-9AB4-7C5445CB6E00_zpsfwboxojy.jpg

I did pass through Mothman country on the way there.
    21A21507-F656-41B2-A8E2-570752FBA358_zps5a3xnytz.jpg

After driving for about an hour, I noticed that I’d picked up a tail. Our guitar player caught up to me in Ohio. The road was straight and traffic was light, so I decided to be stupid and grab a picture.
    536477BA-6401-4B50-AD61-6D2B0F88E715_zpsg0agkonp.jpg

Once we got there, we pulled around back. Mike, our sound guy, was already started unloading.
    FEEF8C1E-5639-4EB7-974F-BA120A73269E_zpsrp05d2iq.jpg

While we were setting up, there was supposed to be a local politician hosting a spaghetti dinner. He didn’t have much of a turn out. Maybe this place had another room that I never found.
    07C235A5-A36C-4AE6-8581-E57A4E63E8C3_zpsumy9yxef.jpg
    7877C37C-F50A-43EE-BD80-DC788151B5FE_zpsnbd25bd2.jpg

Load in was easy, but of course it started raining. Fortunately, most of the PA and lights were in before it started. I hate loading in the rain.
    71535092-5884-4FC5-BA85-1D69E404D8A2_zps5wnlovc9.jpg

The stage was in a corner, so we got to try out the new angle bracket for the lights. We had Jeromy on drums – another fill in. He was the drummer for Ultra Sound when I first joined. We were also missing Scott, our second guitar player. He and his family are at the beach. Scott played bass for the band until I joined.
    2833ACF0-982E-429C-9E0B-E653B1C78D35_zpsaweakr5v.jpg

The stage looked okay once we were done. I wish our black backdrop was longer. Since we were trying to cover two walls, it wasn’t nearly big enough.
    EA96F7E9-B4FC-45D6-B4F1-D5690BE913FC_zpsjzmgkqji.jpg

My rig for the evening is all at my feet. I used the second input on the monitor to have a regular monitor feed from the PA.
    2201b2b5-ac6a-46f5-bead-c61bf56866cc_zpszf4up0c2.jpg

Here’s a picture of my number one, a Spector NS4CRFM.
    D99F6B84-1E30-4247-9563-543515B8EB68_zpspaqcbvhq.jpg

Tonight’s backup is a 1984 Peavey Foundation in pink. One day, I’ll pick a backup that will take over as number one. This one plays well enough for that, but for this band, my Spector just sounds right.
    C4A32620-79D1-4385-AE32-F0CDC6872B78_zpsjfn0ohlp.jpg

mikeyjm2, ELG60, Jimmy4string and 4 others like this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Once the show started, the crowd was nice. Since we often play for bikers, this crowd was a little quieter and calmer than I’m used to. They stuck around and seemed to enjoy us, though.
    14C68CBC-AD80-45DF-AD6C-7DC4A5CDE9CF_zpstspfczhy.jpg
    CA6841F8-6EBF-43EA-BC05-D20FC3B5A74D_zpsg7qqf8cj.jpg
    5E738003-E568-425B-92E9-EF16DF677822_zpssmjzsclx.jpg

Our singer, Rusty, breaks all the band rules. He wears a hat. He wears shorts on stage. Sometimes he says bad words in the mic and has a beer on stage.
    DEEA9BCE-31F4-4D67-8F0D-BA74E43762D6_zpsw8xrnxbb.jpg

Once the show was over, the bartender said she was surprised by how fast we could tear down. She told me she expected to be there until 4am waiting on us. We beat her estimate by about two and a half hours. It takes us about an hour to tear down, pack up, and load out. Dickie is pretty particular about how his trailer is loaded, even with a light load. It makes it easier for next time.
    3F3D1228-1087-4ABD-86B3-47362AE1ECEF_zpsfhyq06m9.jpg

The next show is a pretty big road trip. I’m playing with a different band in Philadelphia. That’s about an either hour drive for me.

3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

That's a beautiful drive to the critter lodge. And you guys really go all out setting up your stage. I like bringing small rigs for my stage monitors. It usually takes me ten minutes to set up, leaving me plenty of time to help the keyboard player set up his four keyboards, two amps, sound module, and mixer. :p

Thanks for all the pictures! It seems you also play a variety of gigs. I'm looking forward to the next one. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

4. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That was a great report. Dang! A trailer. You cats are serious. :thumbsup:

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  5. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    We bring a good sized light show. If any of the places we go have house PA or lights, it usually hasn't been very well taken care of. We try to bring in a nice light show and good PA to turn the show into a little more of an "experience." It really isn't too much work. The whole show rolls in on one rack. We use a single beam instead of truss because it is less bulky. Each light bar connects to the one next to it with a single powercon connector. The lighting controls are all wireless so we don't have to run controller cables anywhere. This time it took a little longer to set up because we had never done a ninety degree setup before. We had to make a plan to support the weight of the lights with things pulling in different directions and angles than normal.

For this show, I set up my gear after the lights were finished. I secured the back lights to an I-beam along the ceiling (they are also supported from below by crank stands) and helped hang and cable the back lights. I also had ladder duty for this show out front - I secured a bar to more beams along the ceiling. We hung front lights from that. 11

When the show is over, I tear down and load out my stuff first. I like to get my basses bagged and safely out of the "work zone" as quickly as possible. That leaves me free to pull down lights, roll cables, and help with the general load out.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Two trailers. Serious overkill. PA comes in one trailer. Lights and stage gear in another. For this show, my stuff was with me instead of the trailer.

It would be great if we were as serious about rehearsal, but the shows are always a lot of fun.

McG, kittywithabanjo and G19Tony like this.
  7. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    2 hrs each way + all that gear? trailers? i assume they were paying the band $1000...minimum.

SLO Surfer likes this.
  8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    We do get paid well for the area we are in. But, you are thinking it is worse than it is. The band is kind of spread out, so the guitar player and his trailer didn't have nearly as far to go. The fill-in drummer lives pretty close to where we were playing. The second trailer belongs to the sound man. His drive is a little shorter than mine, and he makes considerably more per show than I do.

IME, two trailers is grandiose, but traveling with a trailer is normal. It makes it easier with fairs and festivals because we can put all our stage gear in one place and pull in together. Often, being organized in this way cuts down on the distance we have to schlep gear.

We aren't a "band in the corner," even when that is where we set up. We are an 80's-era rock show (as cheesy as that may be at times), and we bring gear to support that. We can be set up within an hour of pulling in if we push a little. It takes an hour to tear down and load out if we take our time. Everything is though-out so that nothing is more work than it has to be - I credit our guitar player for that.

Edit: That last paragraph sounds like I'm knocking bands that are a little quieter and more a part of the event than the center of it. I'm not. I do shows like that too. My upcoming show this week will be a pretty low-energy show (and no trailers! lol), and I've got a couple shows lined up where I'm supporting singer/songwriter. I like doing all kinds of different stuff.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I enjoyed everything about this report from the beautiful country, to the very organized gear (I'm an organization freak myself :D), to the good looking stage set up. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the share.

HolmeBass and wvbass like this.
  10. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Great report.
    You guys seem to do things right...with the backdrop, PA/Lighting rigs, trailers.
    Looks like a cool venue too.
    We don't have all these 'animal' lodges here in Ireland you guys seem to play a lot at. Of course we also don't have Moose, so I guess that's a factor.:)

11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    BassCliff likes this.
  12. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Great report! I worked in Waverly for a few years. Lot of good people in that area. Tried to recognize people in your pics, but couldn't. Glad to see they're still supporting live music.

13. Rule #1 for the "Working Band"- If you LOOK professional, you will get treated like professionals! KUDOS!!! If you look like "weekend warriors", the club owner will have left (with your pay) before the end of the second set...

McG and Oddly like this.
  14. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Nice gig. A real Pro act you provide.. where are you playing in Philly?

15. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Howdy, neighbor!

I've worked that room (the Waverly Moose) a few times. Nice folks, there.

wvbass likes this.
  16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Looks like a fun time - thanks for the report.

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

neat stuff! nice job on the pics and the report! thanks for sharing a part of your journey with us, wvbass. :thumbsup:

18. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Sweet! I have been out to Waverly a few times, it's a nice little area. Several unsolved murders a couple years back, but that was an isolated incident. I was camping out that way earlier this year!

19. slagheap

slagheap Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2011
    i see, cool. i get it.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Honestly, I have no idea. It is a hotel somewhere, and the event is some kind of corporate gig for big pharma. I mainly just worry about where I have to be next and when; in this case, I just have to be ready to go in Parkersburg, WV early Friday morning.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021