1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ultrabass 1200...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by babs1234, Apr 19, 2006.

1. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    im looking for a very inexpenise amp and i ran across the behringer ultrabass 1200. im just wondering for the price it is, is it a good buy for a 120watt amp.

please give some responses

nick

2. I would say no, but im biased against behringer after reading numberous bad things about them and actually seeing one of thier combo's go up in smoke

There are a few brands out there that make very reliable good sounding heads that are cheap, i would suggest a peavey firebass or Max700, thats 700 watts at 2ohms if you go that low, but they are very good amps for the price, ive seen them brand new on the US ebay going for £$300

- Will

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, go ahead and buy it. The gear is priced right for people on a budget. You'll probably love it as long as you don't hang around this forum too much.

-Mike

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you get a good one, it would be great. If it craps out on you, like my guitarist's amp did on him, good luck dealing with Berhinger. What are you using right now?

5. My friend loves his and it's been very reliable.

I have the 4500 head and BB410 cab and love mine too. Nearly all the bad reports I see tend to come from the aluminium cones (includes Hartke and other cabs, not just the Behringers), and I see just as many bad reports from other top end amp manufacturers as well on these forums.

I would go the paper coned 1200 if you can.

6. I agree, there is alot of behringer bashing going on in this forum. I dont personally own a Behringer, but I have a friend that has the 4500 head and plays it out of Avatar 112 8 ohm and 210 8 ohm stack. When I found out he had a behringer, I told him what this forum thinks of them. As he puts it, "I play this thing hard every weekend and it hasn't smoked or let me down, its got good guts and good tone, and if it goes up in smoke, Hell, id buy a new one cause there so friggin cheap. If it got stolen than Id be P*ssed !!"

The rig sounded very good when I heard him play in a packed club. Like he said, good tone and guts.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a BX3000t along with the BA210 and BA115.

I had the head blow on me after about 6 months of practice usage. It was within the first few seconds of my first song at my first show with my new band. Talk about embarassment. I bought their 2400 watt power amp to use until I got repairs done.

Dealing with their customer service wasn't bad. All I had to do was fax a copy of the receipt to them, and then send out the head for repairs, which were done for free. It took about a month to get the head back. Turns out, according to the damage report, one of the capacitors had detonated.

I now use the head as a preamp, by sending the line out signal to the power amp.

Otherwise, without knowing about their questionable business practices, I get a good sound for my type of music-but then again, I do have a lot of processing on my signal before getting to the actual head.