Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ultrajazz or SD hot jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Jan 5, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm thinking i'm going to change the stock pickups out of my mia jazz (natural w/ maple). it's the newer one with the longer bridge pickup. for awhile i was thinking about the ultra jazz, but now i'm also considering the basslines hot jazz. i play rock mostly. i use a qsc rmx 850, svp pro, and a peavey 8x10. i want something that will be clean, and cut through two LOUD half stacks, and still have good bottom end. i play alot of notey stuff with alot of chords too. what do you all think? (i've already seen the bass player shootout, and i want real life suggestions)

also, are both a direct replacement. i don't want to have to do any modifications to the body. thanks.

2. I think for rock the SD hot is better (although you ight also want to try the Dimarzio Model J)

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    okay...but why?

4. Because the SD hot (non-stack) sounds louder (probably has more mids = cuts through better, the ultrajazz has a more scooped sound which is not so good for rock imo)

5. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I don't have any experience with the Basslines, but I do have the Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes in my Modulus Genesis Vintage Jazz, and they cut like a knife. I'm playing harder classic and alternative rock with an EXTREMELY loud drummer and a guitar player that stays right up with him and these slice through the two of them, no problem. They are quiet (hum cancelling), punchy, and sound great. I highly recommend them.

Chris

P.S. The drummer is easily the loudest drummer I've ever heard. Man, he hits those things hard !! :eek:

6. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...so now i'm thinking about the model j's. so i guess it's between the model j's, and the SD hot jazz. what do you think?

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am a big fan of both Dimarzio and SD. speaking about these 2 models i have to say that i prefer the Ultrajazz.

i have used a custom bass with killer tone. it was a jazz bass, one piece maple neck, european ash body with flame maple neck. Ultrajazz pickups with bypassable active EMG 2 band Eq.

tone to die for.

8. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    see...here's what i'm thinking. i play mostly rock, and mostly with a pick. i also use an svp pro, with the bright switch, and ultra low and high switches on. i usually have the bass knob way up also. everything on the bass is passive and will stay that way. hum canceling isn't an issue to me as i run everything wide open. what i'm wondering is will the ultra jazz have too much on the highs, and not enough mids to cut through? will the highs be tough to tame? now what i was thinking with the SD hot jazz is that they have more low end, and that way i can cut the bass knob on the amp and use the ultra high and bright switches to compensate for the highs. plus it has a big mid range emphasis. i'm pretty stuck on this one. i don't want the ultra jazz to have a "fieldy" sound. the hot jazz also has alot of output. will that be too much for my preamp, and cause it to clip alot?

9. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I definitely DON'T get a "Fieldy" sound out of the Ultra Jazzes. I switch off playing with a pick and playing with my fingers. I keep my amp (Ashdown ABM and an Ashdown 410) flat with a little mid boost. With a pick, both pickups are on full. The sound is very gutsy, and cuts through quite well. I don't find the highs to be tough to tame at all. Fingerstyle, I roll off the neck pickup a bit, and it gets a little of that "midrange honk" style jazz sound. Very versatile pickups IMO.

Chris

10. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    are you using an active preamp also? i'm looking to keep the bass completely passive for now. have you had any problems with them? i read in another post that these pickups are only great when everything else is absolutely perfect. reliability is definately an issue. what about noise? how are yours with that? thanks for all the help.

11. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    I'm using the Ultra Jazzes passive, no preamp. I've had the bass for a year, and it's been my main bass the whole time. I haven't had any problems with them. They've been very reliable. They produce a little hum, even though they're humbucking, but not much. They make the same amount of noise as my MM Sterling which is also a humbucker. They're not as quiet as my Modulus Quantum which uses EMGs. They are A LOT quieter than the Geddy Lee jazz I had. Hope this helps.

Chris

12. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    FWIW I had a set of SD's in a 72 Jazz for about two years. Everything you hear is true: less highs, more mids, good grunt. I recently took them out and sold them because the sound just did not sound like a classic jazz to my ears. More mids and less highs sounded like a good idea because I do a lot of live playing but I found myself leaving my jazz at home on gig night. I find that the natural high end in passive single coil pickups can't be replaced by an amplifier switch or knob. I have a good friend who has Ultra's in his jazz. I have not gigged with it but I have plaved it some. Definitely more jazz-like. BTW he is extremely happy with his sound.

13. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so...for all you guys using the ultra jazz...do you have them wired for series/parallel, or just series (which is standard right?)? i don't want to use the push/pull pots or anything...i just want to be able to drop them in and go.

14. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Hi,
    I have them wired for standard V/V/T, I'm not sure whether it's series or parallel, but it is the standard J bass wiring.

Chris

15. Standard J bass wiring is parallel. The uktrajazz pups are fine pickups, and certainly sound more generically 'jazz bassy' than the model Js.

If you do fit ultrajazzes, it's worth shielding the pickup cavities with conductive paint as they aren't well shielded themselves, and bar owners just love putting fluorescent lights and dimmer switches near stages.

16. the standard J wiring is both pickups parallel to each other, but the ultrajazz are split so thats the question here (how to wire them)

17. I couldn't help overhearing-

why replace your Jazz p'ups if you want them to sound like a classic Jazz?

Stewbone.

18. DiMarzio are typically wired in series. I have a set of Model J that are split, same as the UltraJazz. This allows for series/parallel wiring of the pickup halves, as done on the Fender RB5.

I run my DiMarzio split-P pickup wired for series/parallel and there is a noticeable tone difference between the two settings.