Ultrajazz vs Basslines

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I currently have a set of DiMarzio Ultrajazz on my 5 string Moon Bass.The preamp I'm using is a Aguilar OBP 3.
    I have a set of used Basslines pickups for a 5string.They are the humcancelling passive ones.
    The sound I'm shooting for is the Marcus Miller sound and compared to my 74 Jazz with singlecoils and a Sadowsky preamp the Moon is a bit thick sounding in the lower midrange.
    I know I probably won't be able to really replicate the 74 sound with my Moon but would the Basslines be considered an upgrade to the Ultras?
    Has anyone here tried both?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ultrajazz pickups are kind of mid scooped sounding, I'm surprised that you say you hear too much midrange - I've always had the opposite problem.
  3. Maybe I described it wrong.What I mean is that especially on the lower strings my 74 Jazz has a certain openness with overtones that make it sound round and warm compared to the ultras where on the high notes those overtones are there but when I go lower they kind of get buried.The pitch is there but the sound is kind of one dimensional.I'm hoping the Basslines might make my Moon sound more like my Jazz.I'll have them put in next week.
  4. The Duncans are in and I'm glad I made the switch.
  5. Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    which duncans are you talking about? which model i mean.
  6. SJB5...i know because i picked it up from another thread...