Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ultralight Epiphany cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, May 8, 2003.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone try these out yet? If sound how do they sound vs the regular line?
    Which dealer has the best price on these?

Thanks

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i called Brett at Epifani a few times about these, and he says, they've got a bit more inherent midrange to them. still has that sweet Epi clarity, tho.

i'm dying to try one as soon as my schedule lets up that i can visit the shop. playing something that lightweight and tuneful, i'm sure that it'd be nothing short of an epiphany... ;)

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    That's basically the same thing Euphonic Audio said about their new light weight cabs. I don't like them at all after falling in love with the original CXL's. What you gain in portability you're giving up in tone.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    pfffftttttt. Sorry but I believe this in BS started by makers of traditionally heavier speakers cabs. My experience with neodymium speakers has been nothing but pure pleasure. No tone problems, and added enjoyment at gigs by not flirting with injury at the load in and out.

I originally bought a Nemisis 4x10 because it was the lightest 4x10 I could find. It is now the heaviest of my 5 cabs at a mere 35kg and it's far from the best sounding.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Good for you, but you're comparing apples and oranges. I'm comparing 2 cabs with the same design and same components with the only difference being the cabinet material and only a few pounds difference in weight and saying the lighter cabs generally do not sound as good.:spit:

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Could you go into a little more detail about why you thought the ND cabs didn't sound as good? Not as much low end? Honky mids? I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants more info.

When I was in Tokyo I visited a shop that was an Epifani dealer (actually the sole importer of Epifani cabs in Japan) and they had just gotten an ultralight 3x10 in. They're not kidding when they say ultralight. I could pick the thing up with one hand and I'm a pretty skinny guy at 5'11" 120 lbs. I didn't get to play through it, but the guy working in the store said exactly what joker said Brett at Epifani said, that they have more inherent midrange.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree - if you try and make a heavy cab lighter, you'll lose tone. However. A purpose built cab engineered from the ground up with light weight being a big part of the design criteria, and you'll be surprised how good they can sound.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its just hard to believe that Nick and Brett could make anything bad sounding... ;)

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that the new CxL-112L and CxL-110L are made lighter by using less dense poplar ply rather than birch ply adn they still have the same speakers in them with conventional magnet materials.

Thus the change in tone is due to the decreased stiffness and thus increased resonance of the cabinet, which is easily rectified with by adding bracing or pre-stressing the panels a la Acme.

Alex

P.S. Acme Bass Co, I am really not happy about you using Andy's company name - why are you doing this?

10. These new lightweight cabs sound ideal for me. I am after a lightweight rig made up of a couple of single 10's.

I know that I may have to compromise a little on sound but that will be a small price to pay to have less weight to cart around.

I hope to try them out soon and will post my comments. I would be very interested in hearing comments from fellow TBers when they have tried them out.

Regards

Matthew

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    this monday,

your's truly will be making his way to Nick's shop, locked & loaded with trusty Betsy and the equally "hi-ho" Demeter/Kern 2 rack preamp case.

:bassist:

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's also quite possible to design a cab with regular drivers without all the weight. My current rig consists of two cabs that total around 80 lbs. There's nothing lacking in my rig... open, full range "single source" sound, excellent lows, very portable. The cabs I have checked out so far with ND drivers have been okay, with the "for their weight" caveat. I really don't need my cabs to weigh less than 40 lbs. (though one actually does).YMMV

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I rang the gallery, they sold their 3x10 within two days...not bad for a tonally inferior cab

This is what's referred to as a joke. IT will still be funny even if nobody laughed-it's a kind of a tree thing.

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    This post about lightweight CXL's not sounding as good came up before, with a reasonable response from EA. I believe that if they say there isn't much noticeable diff, then that's the way it is. They aren't ND magnets, just lighter wood in the cabs. The new NL series has Nd mags, and it will hit this summer sometime.
    Best,
    LM

15. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Joker,

Tell the guys that Marc said, "thanks, for the replacement grill."

see the 'Word of Caution..." thread

16. CS - I was in The Gallery on Friday and heard / played with the little 1x10 ultralight cab through an Eden head. Also heard the 1x12 (I *think*). Both were VERY sweet little cabs producing a surprising amount of clarity and depth. Coupled with the Eden they were to die for... Funnily enough though we tried them with an Acoustic Image Clarus head and they didn't sound quite so good - the Clarus made them fart a bit where the Eden didn't. No idea why though. All of these tried out with a Stingray 4. Yes, I know... *ME* playing a four string! Oh the humanity! ;)

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up an Epifani ultra light 1x10 (T-110UL) and a non-UL 1x12 (T-112). These two cabs both sounded very nice on their own, but together, the sum is greater than the parts, for sure. I tried these cabs out at Low Down Sound in Detroit, and they had a T-110UL, T-210UL, T-310, and T-112. To my ears, the T-110UL had more punch and high midrange clarity than either the T-210UL or the T-310. The 2x10 and the 3x10 sounded fairly similar, actually, so I'd say that the comments from Epifani that the neo drivers are tonally similar to the heavier ones are probably right about on line. That little 1x10 has a ton of punch, though, and together with the T-112 is very articulate and full range.

Here are my cabs with my Mesa Boogie Walkabout sitting on top. This is my Mini Rig that I use for smaller venues and practices.

[​IMG]

The Walkabout and the T-110UL together weigh in at 36 lbs, and will handle many practice and lower volume scenarios. The T-110UL is great on upright. For moderate or higher volume on a 5-string, though, the T-112 is really necessary.

Later, Tom.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's a question for anyone else who owns an ultra light cab. Does your ultra light speaker have the name "Epifani" silk-screened on it? My T-112 does, but my T-110UL does not.:confused:

I always thought that was a nice touch.

Tom.