Ultra's Basslines obp1 or 3...what to do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Hi,
    I recently posted that I was about to replace the Ultra's in my Moon JB 5 with a set of Basslines humbuckers.I did that and at first I was pretty happy.But when I plugged in my 74 Jazz(stock PUs w/Sadowsy)it sounded so much fatter and clearer at the same time.It totally has that Marcus tone.I can get the Moon to sound pretty good too but the EQ is drastically different and the highs are still kind of thin and unpleasant sounding by comparison.
    Well, I think I'm changing my mind on the Basslines and the OBP 3 as well.I never was able to find a use for the mid control
    (center at 800k) and I mainly bought it because of it's smaller size(no routing needed)That may have been a mistake!
    I know now that the opb 3 in my Moon has a 6.5 k center frequency on the highs as opposed to the OBP 1 at 4 k, and I think that might be the reason why the Moon sounds thinner to begin with.even set flat or backed off no improvement of the highs.Adding the Basslines which seem to have more high end and more of a dip in the lower mids made the Moon sound more transparent but there's no real warmth to the tone.Not as noticeable through my recording setup but through my amp...big difference.I can't seem to compensate for the thin highs with my amp EQ(Eden WT 550)
    So I ordered the obp 1 and I might also put the Ultra's back in.
    I know I won't be able to duplicate the sound of the Jazz but I'm thinking that I should be able to get the 74 Jazz and the Moon to sound similar enough so that I don't have to totally reset my EQ when I switch basses.I really want the Moon bass to work for me.It plays great and unplugged it has a wonderful resonance very similar to my Jazz.
    What do you guys think?Any words of wisdom are greatly apprecciated. :help: