1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ultron?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newbold, May 12, 2010.

1. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    When I joined I'd figured that more people would be into the Guyatone Ultron (and Ultrem)

Too Expensive?

not so awesome?

Too finnicky?

Nobody caught on?

What happened?

2. Too expensive.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Too expensive, and all but one of the people who did buy it (and talked about it here) said they were disappointed considering the price. Even the one guy who posted favorably about it has recently tried to sell it. With no takers AFAIK.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's also a digital filter/wah, which I'm sure turns some people off. I dig both analog and digital filters, but they do usually sound different.

5. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Guyatone describes the Ultron as having an all-analog path with digital controls. I found it to be too perfect-sounding, even cold. It was crystal-clear and dead quiet, but it had no soul, no personality of its own, like the original Mu-Tron III. Makers like Guyatone and Emma need to stop implying that their filters are an improvement over the original Mu-Tron III; they're different, but definitely NOT better than a properly serviced vintage Mu-Tron.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It does? I didn't see any mention of analog on the Ultron's description page or in its manual.

7. If they had included attack/decay controls for the envelope follower instead of the digital Lfo modulation I probably would have considered checking one out. They add the price of the digital brain to the cost of the product but all you get are simple waveforms that are kind of boring. They could have cut down the cost by just having a Midi in. Then you could have made your own simple waveforms using sequencer modulation, but you could also program more intricate stuff to your heart's content. That's one of my favorite thing's about the Eventide stuff (I have a Pitch Factor). I can just launch clips in Ableton and I have exactly what I need for different parts of a song perfectly in sync. If they had given it attack/decay controls, an effects loop, a midi or usb in and a way to set foot pedal range to properly interact with your envelope and and midi modulations they would have had something incredible. If they had a couple of those things they would have something interesting that people could make great use of. What they came up with is a mediocre envelope filter with boring modulations and a price well above everything else on the market. I mean you could buy a vintage mutron and have it restored by a professional for less money. FWIW...

8. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
  9. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Exactly.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    So what price point would this product be worth buying?

12. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I thought so, too. Pedal makers usually trumpet the fact that their filters are "ANALOG!!!" Guyatone is almost downplaying it in this instance. Curious, especially since they compare it to the Mu-Tron.