Um, anyone heard of Verdine White?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mmorrissey10, Oct 4, 2002.

1. mmorrissey10

Sep 24, 2002
    What's wrong with you people? I've been through a ton of these threads, and I have yet to see the name of the phenominal Earth Wind and Fire bassist. He's awesome! One of the best.
  2. He is a forgotten GOD. I think our own Aloha Jerry knows his work pretty well.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Never heard of him... Earth Wind and Fire...were they some kinda new age group? ;)

brad cook
  4. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Verdine White is one of the most unbelievable finger-funk players I've ever heard - I also feel his work on 'Shining Star' to be one of the funkiest pieces of music ever recorded. Man, that cat is cool!!!
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've heard of him...great bassist ;)
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    How'd you guys like what he did to "Got To Get You Into My Life"?
    Yeah, McCartney played the song(as many here will typically espouse) while White PLAYED the song.

If you're already familiar with EW&F albums like That's The Way Of The Worls, Gratitude, All In All, the "Pop" stuff-
    I'd like to recommend the EARLY EW&F albums...especially the self-titled debut(kinda Sly & The Famnily Stone-esque) + The Need Of Love and Head To The Sky.
    The Chicago Avant Garde/Free Jazz influence can be heard a bit on these albums. Pretty cool if you're only hip to EW&F's Top-40 hits.
  7. One of the wittiest bass lines I've ever heard was from the song September by EW&F. I just love how he sticks to the upbeat on the first part of each verse and then seamlessly goes to the downbeat at the end of each verse... genius!;)
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Another thing I like about Verdine is that (in his interviews at least) he seems like a really intelligent, kind and well-spoken guy. Yeah, he's a great bass player too. What rhythm!

brad cook
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When one thinks of funk music, one thinks of Larry Graham-style slappers. But Verdine White distinguished himself in funk as a fingerstlye bassist. I find that fact refreshing.

I have a video of interviews with him and other bassists. Of the bunch, I found him one of the most likeable (along with Nathan East.) Both are among my bass heroes.
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I like Verdine. Loved EWF in the old days. I am one of the few that had one of his signature basses for awhile.

While I admire his funkiness, I think many have come along to surpass him technically. But he was a pioneer so to speak.

I still wonder how he dances around and still plays and I think the answer recently has been another bassist off stage or a click track.
  11. There are some bass players that are not brought up because most of us assume that everyone knows how great they are.

Like Robert Kool Bell
  12. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    DON'T get me started on "Kool", k??? I play in a funk/disco casual band and I had to learn how to play that!!!!!!!
  13. Which song? Their early stuff is pretty stank funk. They only started to suck when their record company made them get a frontman and they started recording crap like "Celebration."
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    True. While Kool is not as unique today as he was back in the day, the early stuff still holds up very well. The worst thing that happened to them though the best thing financially was getting a competent lead vocalist. I could die a happy bassist if the only original line I ever came up with was "Funky Stuff". It's not the notes, it's where you put them;)

Check out the Kool & the Gang live at the House of Blues DVD. Nothing earth-shattering from Kool on his Zon bass but you'll see first hand a top notch Old school funk band.

As far as Verdine, he ain't what he used to be either but back in the day when he was a bass pioneer the man was flat out scary live on stage. The king of perpetual motion while he played masterful fingerstyle lines with his trademark trills and sang, he'd have you exhausted just watching him. I was lucky enough to see him back then, the first time as a relative unknown opening act for Stevie Wonder.

No one I know has forgotten Verdine White:D

Want to talk forgotten/unknown funk players? Try Fudgie Kae or Nathaniel Phillips;)
  15. Great Disk.
    Probally in the top 5 of my favorites.
    Celebration is even great to watch.
    Lots of energy.
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Fantastic bassist. I remember when EWF first came on the set He was ALL OVER the stage with no shirt playing a telecaster bass and shooting bullets at the crowd. really phenomenal playing for that time. If you can find the early stuff, also try the live two record set album from the mid seventies, you wont be disappointed.
  17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Mandrill was great!

who did Nathaniel play with?

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

With Bruce Carter on drums, one of the funkiest drum/bass duos ever. Check out the interplay between Phillips and Carter on Pleasure's "Glide".
  19. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    No doubt. The "Best of Kool & the Gang 1969-1976" is a great introduction to how super-bad they were. The live version of "Summer Madness" from that disc is just great. The 80's killed them... like so many other bands that were great in the 70's. Like Tower of Power... good god, the 80's stuff sucks ass with their Rick Springfield wanna-be lead singer. Actually, Tower started their sucking in the late 70's, disco TOP was very, very bad.

Verdine White is a bad ass mother as well. The funk band I'm in does "In the Stone", which is a great tune and extremely fun to play. We also do the EW&F version of "Got to Get You Into My Life"; people really seem to dig it when we do the EW&F tunes. "September", "Shining Star", "Getaway", and "Fanfare/Fantasy" are all great basslines. Big ol phatty grooves you'd have to be dead not to find.
  20. A couple of years ago the cable tv channel A&E featured EW&F on their BY Request series. Anyone see that? I'm sure I recorded it but now can't find the tape (damn) . Anyway at one point another band member (can't recall if it was a keyboard or conga player) did a bass duet with Verdine ,this cat was hot too. Does anyone remember this ?