Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Um... Avritallica?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Geej, Mar 10, 2005.

1. HA! I was playing in my schools annual battle of the bands just a couple of hours ago (mostly consisting of morons who are wanking around on their instruments just to show that they can-- including a minute long slap solo by a guy who barely knew his way around a bass)...

BUT... the funny part to this post is:
    Have any of you seen MTV Icon: Metallica.. where Avril Lavigne does an embarassing cover of fuel? Well.. Some band, with a chick as lead singer... played stuff like no doubt, a couple of their originals... and ended with... and this is a verbatim quote
    "Our last song is a killer from everyones favourite rock chick... this is Fuel by Avril Lavigne" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What the :confused: ... not to mention it was one of the worst covers I've ever heard....

So when we got up there... we decided not to follow the 2 originals, 2 covers format... and just played 4 Metallica songs...

Fade to Black
    Wherever I May Roam
    Unforgiven
    Orion (woo bass solo)

We were going to play Fuel... but changed it to Unforgiven, and said to the audience.. "We'll damn, we were gonna cover Fuel too... but we dont wanna be seen playing Avril Lavigne's songs now do we?"

Needless to say, we got disqualified for not following the rules. But we got to finish our whole set, and I nailed the bass solo in Orion... I got to play through a HUUUGE Trace Elliot amp that the school owns, that absolutely shook the hall. And it was blatantly obvious that a bass player was manning the mixing board because I had such an awesome tone, like ive never had before, and I was way up in the mix too... Awesome fun, thats what we were in it for...

Final twist... guess who won? The band that covered Avril Lavigne's Fuel... :rollno:

Rocking out... thats what its all about! :bassist:

2. All I can say is...***?

On a side note, I never thought Avril's version of Fuel was that bad. It's better than some covers I've heard, like Madonna with "American Pie" and Celine Dion singing "Shook me all night long."

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah I saw it. Sadly, it was one of the best. I am disgraced that Snoop Dogg did Sad But True.

4. Yeh, I don't think any band has been able to do a metallica song justice. I've heard a techno version of unforgiven, Casey Donnevan (australian idol) singing Nothing else matters... But I dont think it's possible for a different genre of music to cover a metallica song and make it good. Rapping Sad But True just s*cks the An*s totally. I've seen bands to live versions perfectly, but meh, you just cant RECORD a metallica song again...

5. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    If you've ever seen a punkrock version of Nothing Else Matters even that Avril cover of fuel sounds right....

6. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I didn't actually think Avril butchered it too bad... it was one of the better performances in that Icon show.

But that chick who sang the cover should be smacked! That ignorance pisses me off so much (even more than a half-assed cover)

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I heard a cover of Blackened done some norwegian black metal act that really kicked ass. Can't remember who it was now though.

8. As much as I hate to say it... and I mean... REALLY hate to say it... Limp Biskit (sp?) did a pretty good Welcome Home (Sanitarium) rip off

9. Desi

Desi

Jan 11, 2005
    That had to have been the funniest story I read all week :hyper: . I was hoping that she was being sarcastic but, I guess the only one throwing the mudball of sarcasm was you :smug: . And about that MTV Metallica Icon, I was both pissed and disheartened at the downright poor choice of bands chosen to cover Metallica songs. I'm pretty sure Metallica thought the same ;) . I guess envisioning bands like In Flames, Children of Bodom or The Haunted covering Metallica tunes was way too unrealistic to even wish for. :crying:

10. So let me get this straight...they did a cover of a cover? Wow. And Snoop's performance rawked.

11. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I heard a local band do a ska cover of master of puppets that was amazing.

This kind of reminds me of some dumb hick I was friends with in high school. We were listening to NIN and hurt came on. he got real excited... "They covered that Johnny Cash song!"

12. A ska band near us did a cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls that RULED.

13. Yes, but I've seen a sight where you can get the complete S&M sheet music, they may have just used that.

But yeh, My old Ska band did a wicked good version of 'wasting my hate'... man would I have loved to see an S&M version of that!

14. Avril Levigne's cover of Fuel was disgusting. I'll admit I tuned in halfway through, but for the half that I did see, she did not sing one note in key. Something like that is not a matter of opinion. That said, I like some of her songs just fine. This is just my opinion of what I saw of that performance.

The reason I'm being so specific is that I recorded the whole thing, and people saying dangerous things like 'Oh, it wasn't that bad,' makes me want to flip the VHS into my VCR and rewatch the whole sordid affair, just to prove to myself that yes, it was indeed painful, and then realise that yes, I did indeed waste an hour or two completing this silly exercise. These are things I'd like to avoid.

15. chekerbored

chekerbored

Nov 18, 2004
    STL
    I just thought i'd chime in.

My friend gordo just hangs out with our old histroy teacher in the back of his class and talks about music alot. The other day he showed him a cover of Gin and Juice...by a bluegrass band.

I havent heard it yet, but i think it would be an interesting mix

16. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The band in question is The Gourds, and the most circulated version is a live one they did at a festival once. It's hilarious, check it out if you get a chance.

Gin and Juice is actually covered a whole lot by acoustic artists for some reason. When I heard that one the first time a few years ago it was the fourth or fifth version of that song I'd heard.

17. Ive always like the lead guitarist in Avrils band, he seems to bring it up to another level where the rest simply arent.

I didnt like Avrils voice, but i think a female vocalist could pull it off.

I thought it was VERY awesome to see a decent drummer playing a metallica song, about damn time too.

18. Someone specific you're thinking of? The only one that comes to mind is that new R&B/rock singer. Her name starts with an R I think. Ruth or something like that.

19. Yeah my singer, I think she's quite talented, but im bias :D