Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Um....FLARES?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=330462&cc=5901

Who the heck brings flares to a football (ya like that, non-UnitedStatesians? :D ) match? Have I been risking the safety of myself and those I love by NOT bringing flares with me when I go to sporting events?

Just, you know, wanna be prepared. I mean, I already take Duct Tape with me wherever I go (thanks, Tommy!).

And, to be able to refer to a soccer (whoops) match as the "Heysel Stadium Disaster of 1985" is amazing. I wanna party with these guys. :bag:

I love the smell of flares in the morning....smells like GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well, if that 70's look is what you are after, why wouldn't you?

[​IMG]

3. Hey, I'm wearing flares right now. Denim, though.

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Aw, crap. Second post hijack. You suck.

[​IMG]

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Get with the groove man....

[​IMG]

6. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    thats so messed up. Another example of stupid people ruining it and dumbing down standards. Now, there is gonna be a sign that sais no flares allowed. This is like the sign on the car wash that sais you need to put your convertable top up before the wash.

Reminds me of a shirt I saw. "Clean the Gene Pool - Kill Yourself"

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    [​IMG]

One of the guys in my grade used to wear these flared jeans that were just freakin' CAVERNOUS. He was well over 6ft at the time, too -- you could hide a Cardinal, hat and all, inside those things.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :eek:

The same thing happenned in the early 90's in a game between Argentina and Brazil. A woman lit a flare that hit Maradona, IIRC, and they ended up carrying him off the field.

Later the woman ended up doing a spread for brazilian Playboy. It was pretty funny. Only in Brazil, or so I thought.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I don't think there is anything amazing about the death of 39 people at the Heysel Stadium Disaster.

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    To someone in a country that doesn't have many stadium riots (okay, one NBA game and a couple of Who concerts), it's amazing.

11. And just like clockwork, Toasted has completely missed the sarcasm of the statement.

Mark!

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I dont see sarcasm in that. Even if it was intended to be saracastic, mocking the deaths of 39 people and suggesting that it was like a party is pretty un-funny to me. I dont know, maybe i should go hunt some hogs to cheer me up.

And to further moan:

I don't live in a country that has alot of stadium riots either. And 39 people being crushed to death still doesn't cause me any amusement.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nonono, he's an english major. He's just not used to our modern usages.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree that it's hardly a subject for humour - especially if you might have had relatives who died at a football match...:meh:

Getting back to the topic - it seems very strange in England, as this would never be allowed to happen in an English football stadium. Searches are carried out by stewards who are supported by Police.

What I've heard on the radio is that Italy is a peculiar case, as the policing of football grounds is not under the control of the football clubs as it is here - so it is up to the local authorities and not the football club. So presumably the blame has to be laid at the door of the police or the Italian government for not making this the responsibility of the club? :meh:

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hunting hogs? :rolleyes: I guess some dogs can't learn any new tricks....

Who said I was amused by the deaths of 39 people? :eyebrow: Ya know--sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Get off your soapbox.

The comment was made because I don't normally see things like "Stadium Tragedy of 1906." To me, that's like seeing "Happyland Circus Disaster of 1947"--IOW, It reads humorously. Does that mean that I actually think that 39 people being crushed to death is humorous? Of course not. Only a complete and utter moron would actually think that I'm amused by 39 people dying. It was the TITLE itself that made me laugh.

The fact that I actually had to explain that to indignant yahoos on a message board makes me cry, though....

Anyway, I'd say, "Lighten up," but I'm sure the inevitable retort is coming of, "I don't see anything about 39 people being crushed to death as anything to lighten up about," so I'll save you the trouble.

Forgive me if I don't see the problem with mentioning a 20+ year old tragedy without the reverence you apparently think it deserves at all times, regardless of context. But, then, I can also make a joke about the Titantic Disaster without losing sleep, too. Ive' seen enough death in my life to have enough respect for it, and to also understand that sometimes the best thing to do is laugh at it, Junior.

This was a thread about the ludicrous happenstance of people launching FLARES into a soccer stadium this week. So, please don't moralize about your perceived lack of sensitivity on my part. I've got better things to do with my time than be lectured by someone thousands of miles away who is more than a decade my junior about how I should conduct myself on an internet board. But, you know, thanks for being better than all of us who can laugh at the ridiculousness of life.

Why don't you go to this thread about someone braining their mother with a guitar and tell them they're wrong, too:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174729

I'm sure they need someone to pee on their parade and show them what they are doing is wrong, and why. Because, you know--all of those guys are actually happy that someone's mother was killed. With a guitar. That's why they joke about it. Because they are glad she's dead. :rolleyes:

Again, :rollno:

Not that I really feel like I need to explain myself, but I'll try and clarify my comment for those of superthin skin and supersensitive sensibilities.

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jesus...if I had said, "HA HA--look people died!" I could understand being upset. But, to focus on that one aspect of my original post is reaching for something to be pissy about, if you ask me. Some people just prefer to be offended. And, some people simply always need to feel superior-at least in their own minds, at least.

I'd also like to add that I've seen enough European football riots on TV to be wise enough to know better than to be in the first couple of rows....There--be offended at that.

In the article, it mentions that there were hundreds of flares confiscated at the gates. Apparently, some got through. It does show a startling breach of security...

Apparently, there is a match coming up with Liverpool, which will be the first match in 30+ years. The last one had a, yup--you guessed it--a riot. This should be interesting to follow.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Man, I agree with 9 out of 10 things you say. You're the poster on this board that makes me laugh the most often. I think you have a good moral stand point. You've said to me before "I just call it how I see it." This time I'm just calling it how I see it.

I have no time for this dismissive "you're yonger than me so I'm more correct" bull****.

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You're right. Being younger isn't relevant. And, I'm glad someone is amused. :D

So, how about this--my mom died of a heart attack. That doesn't mean that I can't find a joke about heart attacks funny in the right context.

There is a difference.

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You're talking about Liverpool VS Juventus tonight. The first leg at Anfield has already been played with no trouble. 0 incidents. And the last match between the two clubs was the Haysel Statdium Riot. Way to go: You dont even know what you're talking about.

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, well, I never claimed to be a scholar of European Football history, did I?

As for the "way to go," I didn't realize I had a point to begin with.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.