Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Um, that's PROFESSOR Goodbar to you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Apr 7, 2004.

1. In weird twist of fate, I was recently hired on as bass instructor at the local University of Wisconsin extension, the same place where I briefly studied. Although I feel uniquely unqualified for the job, my saving grace is that my only student is a beginner who is making the transition from electric bass. The kid was suffering along with a violin instructor until the department chairman happened to hear me play in a local production of “Les Miserables.”

If they keep me on next fall, my greatest fear is that I’ll end up with a student who is more advanced than I am! I think, overall, it will be a good experience and will inevitably improve my own playing.

In my official capacity, I'm heading up to Richard Davis' bass conference at UW Madison this weekend hoping to pick up on some teaching methods and materials.

Any general advice?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No advice, just congratulations! What a great experience. Listen to Mr. Davis; I believe he may know a thing or two :smug:

I take it this is UW-Racine? I love the UW campuses. I have some fond memories of UW-Eau Claire; I attended that one for a few minutes before I got lured into the wild and wooly world of gigging.

3. Thanks, Marcus. This is UW Parkside, which is situated midway between Racine and Kenosha. It is a beautiful campus surrounded by fields of prairie grass, but made slightly less beautiful lately with blocks of unsightly student housing (it was a commuter college when I went there).

I must say it was strange having my old professors welcome me to the staff!