1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Umm.... How would you go about removing a chunk of glass from your fingertip?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tehuberc, May 11, 2011.

1. tehuberc

tehuberc

Mar 1, 2007
    I have basically no supplies except for a nail clipper, which I'm pretty sure is writhing with bacteria. Do you think it would somehow find its way out if I just left it there? A pretty large portion is sticking out.

2. Anything sharp will work, just sanitize it with something first. Rubbing alcohol works well. You need to get it out of there. Try and hook onto it with a needle, or I've used a thumb tack before after sanitizing the tip because I had nothing else. My father would just use a razor blade, but he's a redneck.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a guy who has had to dig stuff out of myself before.

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Get pliers. Heat them up, or soak them in alcohol. or both. Get the glass out. Run the cut under water for a while. Soak cut in alcohol. Profit?

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a guy who has had to dig stuff out of myself before.

4. I'd just cut the finger off.

5. True... also- glass will shatter when exposed to temperature fluctuations, so light it on fire and then hit it with a fire extinguisher. You win... oh- and pics please!

6. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Depends on the size of the shard.

For large shards I've used an unsanitized leatherman (in less than ideal conditions). Pulled it out, then enthousiastically disinfected the wound.

For splinters I've used an unsanitized swiss army knife to get beneath the splinter and dig it out. Disinfect enthousiastically.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a guy who has had to dig stuff out of myself before, who is now wondering how he has not lost a finger before.

7. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    If you cant get it out, goto a doctor, or emtc. They can scan the digit to make sure everything is out.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    If it's large enough that it's sticking out, try to get it out CAREFULLY.

If there's much resistance, go to a doctor.
    They can rip it out properly in Triage. Just dont risk anything.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    And pics.

10. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    +1

11. Hi.

One of those "if You have to ask, You most probably can't do it correctly" moments IMHO/IME.

^+1000

Even if it does look like You got everything out, You can't really be sure. So a trip to the emergency care would get my vote. If this was a poll that is.

The nice thing about glass (or other inert non-organic pieces) is that ones body will encapsulate 'em, the not so nice thing about it is that when encapsulated, it will move (albeit slowly) inside ones body. 1cm/year is said to be the average.

I personally use whatever I have at hand, the Leatherman and the Swiss Army Knife being the most used, a regular household needle coming closely at the third place. Usually I don't have anything to desinfect them, or the wound, with, but since I've been doing minor "repairs" to my body at least weekly for as long as I remember, I very rarely get any infections. The first sutures at 8 BTW IIRC :).

If possible, I do seal the area with CA as soon as possible. That allows me to continue working almost without a stop.

Regards
    Sam

12. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    If the glass is sticking out a bit, use your two front teeth to grab on to it and pull it out

or
    Pull out a pocket knife, open it up and dig with the pointy tip until the glass is removed.

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I unfortunately have to do this, daily, at work. As I am a glass maker. You'd do well to get the glass out asap, dependent on type... some glass can do some really nasty stuff to you if it leaches into your bloodstream. If all you have are nailclippers, so be it, just don't use excessive force as it'll obviously cleave the chip.

If it's ordinary drinking glass shard (soda lime or borosilicate) it will not *harm* you, save for the discomfort. If left in, it would actually, eventually, form its own exit route (a fistula). It would look like a zit, but voila, a piece of glass. If it is something like lead crystal, yeah, get it out asap. Swab the clippers, get to work.

Good luck. Oh, and save the pics.

14. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Gunpowder and a cigar.

15. tehuberc

tehuberc

Mar 1, 2007
    Excuse my crappy laptop camera. Hopefully this gives you guys a better idea. Thanks for the advice so far though, I'm going to go buy a pair of tweezers and do my best to just yank it out.

nwahj5.
    2j0jgae.

16. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

Apr 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    A Pencil sharpener and a Tom jones impersonator

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    that should be a pretty quick extraction, there's nothing but soft tissue there...not much of a fight, if you will.

18. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    It's just under your horny layer. Unless a komodo dragon licked it, there's no trouble there.

19. Cabazon

Cabazon

Jan 20, 2009
    How long has it been in there?
    There's not much red around it at all, so I'd say you're good on the not-having-an-infection front.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    imagine the stories you'll be able to tell with that scar.