Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Umm.. would these be connectors for mixer fx-loop?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Um, the vocal amplification at the place where we rehearse is a cheap vocals-style 'bundle'. I've been thinking of getting a small PA-multieffect and a feedback destroyer for it, but where would I connect it?

It has integrated 5-band EQ and on the connections section there are tape out/in etc, and then suspicious monoplug connectors labelled "Effects send" and "EQ in" - so would this actually be effects loop? I wouldn't like to blow my effects up just because of ill-equipped amp.

The amp itself looks very much like this Peavey:

[​IMG]

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    check the manual (you can find most on line). you would be looking for something labeled insert. one plug does in and out. the manual usually gives alternate hookups for different types of equipment. what is the model of the board?

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If that's the effects loop, that's very strange labeling. It would normally be "Effects Send" and "Effects Return".

Unless, as pbd points out, it's actually an "insert" type plug which doubles as send and return in one plug. These usually need a stereo jack with the tip=send and the ring=return. Although, these types of inserts aren't common on powered mixers.

Have you got the model number of PA head?

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, it's a cheap clone amp, I could always phone the fellow who owns the PA for the manual.. It's odd, Peavey site mentions that their version has "Master effects output (1/4 inch send jack)", but on the other hand, what could the "EQ in" be for then?

5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    another option would be to place your feedback device between the board and the mic. IE: your mic would directly plug into the processing unit input, then out of the unit into the board. This could get costly if you have lots of mic's that feed back. it would be better to get a small non-powered mixer that can do inserts or come out of the outputs into the processor then the head board. This way your just using the head for an amp and the small mixer for....mixing.