Ummm well i need help/Advice!!

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by bannah_avecmoi, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bannah_avecmoi

Nov 5, 2004
    Ok well i am in a bit of a pickel... I have been playing the upright bass for about i dont 5 years, and i am leaving high school a year early to not go strait into college but a form of education for a year. I am weighing out the possiblities of buying a bass, but i wont hav much room where i am staying and i dont want to just quite playing for a year then go into college???? what is my best choice ( where i am going there inst a orchestra)?? And i really need to keep going on the bass cause i havent really out my heart into it untill this last year nad i didnt learn much while i was being a slacker, and now i am so ready to learn more

thanks hannah :cool:
  2. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    What, . . . . exactly what is the question here? and believe me, if most of the people on this board were forced to live in a closet, there would be a bass in there.
  3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Wanna be a bass player? The secret is simple: get a bass and play it as much as you can. Don't wanna be a bass player? It's another simple answer: don't have a bass, or don't play it if you do have one.

If you want it, you will find a way to get it. Any of us around here that are still at it decades later have gone via that path. Save money, borrow money, rent one, make a washtub bass and play that, whatever: do something.
  4. bannah_avecmoi

Nov 5, 2004
    i was thinkin i was just going to buy a electric then work on that, fo r a bit then buy a upright i am hesistant about buying one cause i really dont know what would be a good one to start with.
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Well, you have to decide that first. If you hear electric bass in your head, buy that, or borrow one to see if that's your thing. I bought a lot of "search party" instruments over the years before I realized that double bass is my voice. That's a good way to get rid of all that extra cash laying around. :eyebrow:

Would've been easier to be a singer, but that's not an option in my case.
  6. bannah_avecmoi

Nov 5, 2004
    it is soo much eaiser being a singer... I sometimes wish the bass was as portable as my voice!! but you know you cant have it all. and about what i hear in my head that is funny i dont hear eletric bass, but i want to learn ohw to play :smug:
    thanks hannah
  7. janetreno

Nov 11, 2004
    You sound really confused.

If you've really put your heart into it this year, as you've said, continuing playing bass is a practical and rational action. If there is not an orchestra where you are going, why don't you look into community or youth orchestras outside of school?

The bass' size was not designed with convenience in mind.
  8. Hannah

You have to be more specific about how much room is not much room. If you want to play orchestral bass at some point you might consider learning cello. It's not the same, but many of the techniques cross over and it's smaller. I know a few very good bassists who started on cello. If you intend to do jazz or something similiar, electric bass is probably a better choice. You could also consider a portable EUB like the Caruthers or someting like that. It won't sound exactly like a bass, but it will come close for feel, It's a lot smaller, and you can practice silently.

9. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am gonna pull a Paul, if you want to play URB and that is the sound you are hearing, then get an URB.

Coming from a carless NYC'er, whose apartment could be catagorized as a large closet, you'll find room if you really want it.

Good Luck.