Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ummmmmmm...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heretic, Jan 26, 2005.

1. I took one of the carrying handles off the side of my ampeg B3 combo so I could look inside and noticed two cardboard tubes just sitting there. What are they for? they are about 10" long, about as round as an orange, and on the inside of the tube they are black. I got this thing used so was it the previous owner? Keep in mind, if this is a dumb question, I'm new to amps.

THANKS

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    If theyre attached to the side of the cab, and go hrough, then theyre ports. If theyre just loose inside, I cant see them being important.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    They probably used to be the port tubes until they fell out. If you like the sound the way it is leave them where they are.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    They would be the port tubes. They are stapled in place in the ports when the speaker is made......if they are loose they fell out of place due to something really silly happening.

Put them back, or leave them alone, your choice.....We put them in the ports when it was made, to tune the box where we wanted it and optimise low end sound.

You don't have to agree with us on tuning, but you could put them back and see what you think.....you can always take them back out if you don't like it.

5. ok, just wondering :) You have been alot of help Ampeg Insider

as usual I have a totally unrelated Q: Is it ok when the Limit LED lights up (by the power switch) frequently when I'm playing at high volumes? I don't wanna blow something up :/

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It means you have used all the available power....it isn't a warning of failure...

If it lights a lot, your sound may be compressed a bit by the limiter being on so much. Generally means you are a bit under-powered for the gig.

7. well it only does it when I use a pick, with fingerstyle its rarely seen. Just wondering because blinking red lights usually aren't a good thing :D

THANKS!

8. I have a SVT-210 that has been retired to the practice room. When I used to haul it around to gigs those tubes would fall off the port holes all the time. I never could tell any difference in the sound when they were on or off.