un-gloss my graphite neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I have a Modulus Flea Bass that i really like to play, except i dont like the extremely glossy finish on the back of the neck, it just feels so sticky. I much prefer the raw feeling of a stingray neck. Is there anything i can do to make it feel like the stingray neck? Sand it down or something?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You can, though I would recommend having a luthier do so. I know Modulus offers a matte finish in place of high gloss.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Generally speaking, some 0000 grade steel wool would be my choice if I were to attempt this myself on a wooden neck with a standard poly/gloss finish that I wanted to "dull down" a little bit.

For some reason, I remember that some builders of graphite necks use a gel-based finish that may not react or behave like a standard wood finish. Since a Flea bass is a nice axe and expensive to boot, I'd get in touch with Modulus as to how to do it and/or for referrals to a professional luthier who won't mess it up. I don't think you'd end up with the raw wood feel of an MM, but it'll be in the ballpark.
  4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yeah thats a good idea i should give modulus a ring, but i hear their customer service is quite unpleasant...
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Aaaack! Try and avoid using steel wool if you can - the hairs get everywhere, and can cause real problems if they get in your pickups!

If you want to try doing it yourself, find some 0000 *brass* wool at a workworking supply store - it's nonmagnetic.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Or, just use fingerease. It's a spray stuff to slicken up your strings and the neck. does not leave buildup, and it isn't a permanent modification.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Great thread...the #1 thing that turns me off to any bass I pick up is a gloss neck. I hate gloss necks!!!!! When I was shopping for a second bass last year I considered a used Modulus but was unsure if I'd be able to sand the gloss off the back of the neck without ruining it.
  8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    superlight grade steelwool. I hit every bass with it before a show.
  9. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Steel wool works fine......it's common with luthiers to cover over the pickups and other delicate parts with masking tape to prevent the hairs from getting in delicate stuff. FWIW, I've seen Ken and Norio do just that at the Sadowsky shop with Roger around, so it's gotta be okay:)