Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Un-Happy Time (amp rig)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Oct 16, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Well, it finally happened. I have lost almost all fun with my rig. To let you know, I'm running an Ampeg SVT-350H into an Ampeg SVT410HEN (200w into 8 ohms) I'm just not too satisfied with the sound. I have played an SWR Goliath Jr. II under my amp, and liked it pretty well. So I was thinking, maybe ditch the 4x10, and go to the ever popular 2x10 + 1x15. I would like to stay Ampeg (even though I know I like the SWR). So here's the questions:

1) Anyone ever used an Ampeg 2x10?
    2) Any other ideas on what to do?

Oh, and I like the classic series, so please don't tell me that the pro line will change my life;) .

Thanking you all,
    Stu

2. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Ampeg has a cabinet. I haven't gotten a good look at it yet

It has a 15 facing down and to the rear, a pair of (maybe) 8's or (possibly) 10's up top, and assorted holes for porting.

It's pretty funny looking but had a REALLY good sound.

Check one out, but,and this is important, BRING YOUR OWN AMP TO THE STORE!!!!!!

When people write YMMV they mean the same amp that rocked here might reek there.

When I was a pup I bought a Randall 2x15 cabinet that sounded great in the store. It sounded fecal at the first gig I used it on. Eventually I managed to make it a workable rig by putting a powered 2x10 cabinet on top. So I ended up running 200 W to my high end and 400 to my low end. With that much head room it sounded okay again.

But the moral of this story, boys and girls, is that if I had taken MY AMP HEAD into the store and heard the Randall with it I NEVER would have gotten that piece of $#!+

(Okay, self, Breathe.)*pant pant pant*

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've seen that cab, I always thought it looked a little funny. Never plaayed it though...

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    EL BUMPO strikes again!:D Any other views?

5. Go Mesa boogie, baby! :D
    the walkabout head thru their 400 watt 4x10 - YUM!

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Tried it, didnt care for it too much. Thanks though

7. i'v got an ampeg 210 and 115 sitting at home at the moment (i'm at uni and am using my ampeg B2R with an eden 112). The ampegs sound pretty nice, quite loud, and a great lil rig (comparativly speaking)
    out of curiosity, why did u buy the SVT-350h over the B2R?

*Si*

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Package deal. Got the head and cab dirt cheap.

Si, hows the bass on the 2x10 + 115 setup? Nice and deep? Or just kinda there?

9. depends how u EQ it :)
    its nice, deep but real nice clarity!, i'm not a huge fan of 10's though, i'm preferring 12's at the mo. Mite sell my 210 and get another 112, and use the 115 with one of em if i need to move LOADSA air, but i reckon 2 112's would do me.
    having said that about 10's, i got flats on my fretted bass, so u can see where my sound preference lies :)

*Si*

10. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Why aren't you willing to consider SWR cabs if you know you like them?

The carry more power, have much higher efficiency, and are easier/lighter to carry, and comparably priced.

If you know you dig the tone, what's holding you back?

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Never ruled them out. I am considering trading off my 4x10 for a Goliath JRII. I really like Ampeg, the bass responce just isn't cutting it for me.