Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

un-marked bass????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arther daily, Jan 11, 2001.

1. G'day!
    There's a 2nd hand bass in the music shop opposite my house and I want to know what it is?

I might just buy it and post a picture on here, but here's a description just incase someone can pick up on something?

Neck
    5-piece through neck, 3 light coloured woods (2 the same and one different)and two thinnner dark woods.
    The fret markers are 1 big dot and 2 smaller dots either side.

Body shaped like a custom alembic, but not quite so elaborate. 2x equal length short horns and is rounded at the bridge end. It has PJ open pole p/ups, four pots and a switch.

Bridge itself is a single piece and looks like brass.

Headstock
    Brass nut, silver tune pegs (replacements?) are spaced evenly 2 on each side. There's no marking on the headstock at all (dammit!) and the trussrod cover is at the head end.

I'm guessing it's handmade, but it just looks too good, too professional? - any ideas... anyone?

I'll try and get a picture!

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    It Could be a "Westone Thunder" ???

3. Do they come un-marked?

Are they any good or are they really shabby?

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    I don't think they usually come unmarked,they are (were) kind of budget end basses.But they are very,very good.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    B.T.W. where in the U.K. are you?

6. Reading.

Do know where I can see a picture of a Westone Thunder?

It doesnt look particularly 'budget' but I'm not really the best judge?

Is there a web site somewhere with lods of old basses & guitars? - there should be!

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
  8. GO ON! - That's the bass!!!

Well done mate and impressive bit if detective work!!!
    Same shape body, neck, same laminates, same pots!!!
    I wonder why the one in the shop is unmarked?

I shall have a play and put a deposit on that bass this weekend!

So, they're nice iunstruments then? How much should I expect to pay for one? - in working order?

The shop owner is as tight as fishes arse, so I'll no doubt have to haggle. Good thing is that he doesnt know shoot about musical instruments really!

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    There's one in Coda Music in Stevenage (near me) I think they want about 100 quid for it.
    Personally I'd pay probably up to about 150. for one.

10. have u played it?

how does 'she' sound? - - play? - - feel?

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    No,haven't actually played one but they have a great reputation.
    Rob Townsend from the "Blues Band" (Paul Jones'es mob)
    Plays one exclusively on stage and to record with.
    If you look on the web and use "westone thunder" as a search you'll find a couple of reviews that rate them really well.
    As to the lack of anything on the headstock,I would reckon someone at sometime has removed the lettering to make it look more like a genuine custom article.