1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Un-shining" chrome

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tbplayer59, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I hope this isn't a dumb question. Due to reading many posts on this board, I recently reinstalled the original tuners on my 76 P. I had put Schallers on them about 15 or 20 years ago. I was inspired by all the appreciation for "all original" basses.

I also installed a new bridge after learning that Fender makes a 70's style bridge with the slotted height adjusters. I was using a similar bent metal bridge with brass saddles. The original bridge is corroded, with rust pits on the underside of the plate.

Unfortunately, that new bridge is really obvious, especially in comparison to the older tuners. The shine makes it apparent it's much newer than the rest of the bass.

Does anyone ever "un-shine" the chrome on their basses? Is it possible? If so, how?