1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Un-thrilled with my new Morley PBA-2 wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eli, Mar 9, 2002.

1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    So I was all excited because I actually FOUND one, and it was the only one they had and I had to work late and I didn't bring my bass and it was 8:55 pm when I finally got to the store SOOOO....

I bought it without listening to it.

So I get it home and it's... weird.

It has two modes -- classic wah and "funk wah". Here's what they sound like:

Classic wah sounds like it sends the incoming signal straight through, but then ADDS a second line that sounds like an active treble BOOST rather than the traditional wah treble cut. I don't know if that's what the circuitry actually does, but the end result is that the whole sound is harsh and unintegrated -- it almost sounds like two instruments playing the same part.

The funk wah is even weirder. It has that same added/disconnected layer thing happening like the classic wah mode (strike one), and the thing that's added to the top is like some hyper-flange thing. It's controlled by the pedal but sounds more like a delay line. And not a smooth sweep -- with a long note and a realatively slow pedal sweep, the sound does that step-at-a-time overtone-series-sounding arpeggio kind of "ooo-aww-aahh-ehhh-eee-ehhh-aah-aww-ooo" thing. Very unsettling. Maybe someone else would like it but it definitely is NOT in my realm of usability.

And the pedal is called "switchless" -- which means the treadle is spring-loaded to the toe-up position, and as soon as you rock it forward, the effect engages. Cool idea, but if you happen to rock nearly all the way back to toe-up position while you're trying to play, the effect momentarily disengages, and it's not a smooth-sounding transition. It's a noiseless switch, but the tone going back to uneffected signal is so different it sounds like a glitch.

AND --Neither of the two modes is adjustable for tone or any other parameter AT ALL -- you only get what it sounds like, take it or leave it.

So -- I'll leave it. It's going back to the store tomorrow. My advice: You may like it, but play it before you buy it. Bottom line (pun intended), my 3-year-old Morley PWV Wah-Volume is much more natural- and musical-sounding to my ear, and it has the volume mode also. It stays.