un-wanted noise from emg's

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DeepDeath, Oct 10, 2002.

1. i have emg actives, and sometimes they become very noisy, there not shielded but my tech told me these actives dont need shielding. this noise doesnt happy everytime i play just like 1 out of 4 times. any guesses?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    First, check your battery. Then, check all your wiring connections, and be sure the battery clip is good and tight. After that, I'd suspect your cable. What are you using for a tone circuit? Some EQs can be noisy, particularly when the battery runs low. And have you cut your bridge ground? You don't need it with EMGs, and it can cause noise.

I just read you profile - clean your pots, too - they're getting older, I assume. A dirty pot can be very noisy!

I've always found active EMGs to be as close to absolutely quiet as you're going to get...and they absolutely rock at 18V.
  3. um im using the pots and eq that came with the pickups, i took the cusions out of the p pickups a while back and im not sure if that did anything to make noise, the pots could be dirty ill go get it checked out this weekend.