Unable to tighten/loosen hair on my bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by JazzBassinSC, Jul 26, 2005.

1. JazzBassinSC

Jul 26, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    I have a German bow that Im unable to tighten/loosen the hair on.
    I was rotating the black plastic piece (sorry, I dont know what its called) that one uses to adjust the hair tension, and it came off in my hand. I can use a pair of pliers to rotate the metal shaft that the knob attaches to, and it will adjust the hair fine.
    Before I glue this piece back onto the shaft, I wanted to make sure I use the right glue.
    Do I need to use a type of adhesive that can be removed for future bow repairs/rehairings (the way hide glue is used on a bass)
    Or can I use a regular epoxy?
  2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    That part is called the screw, but I don't know what glue to use.
  3. Others will most likely disagree, but if you don't want it to ever, ever, come off again;- use epoxy. On the button & screw of a german bow, I can't see why one might ever want those to come apart again. It's just one piece of wood and and one piece of metal usually. The buttons don't get very ornate like some french frog buttons.

Did the screw turn stiffly before / does it turn stiffly now? You might lubricate the screw threads and the frog liner with paraffin.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'd suggest removing the screw from the frog before you glue it. You shouldn't risk gluing the screw permantly into the bow.

Epoxy is the best choice IMO as well.
  5. JazzBassinSC

Jul 26, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Wow, that was quick. I only posted this here last nite and already got a lot of good advice. Thanks a bunch. I will definitely pull the screw out of there and lube it before I glue the button back on.
    Thank you again.
  6. pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    the exact same thing happened to my german bow. Let me know how it goes.
  7. JazzBassinSC

Jul 26, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Hey Pat,
    Havent been on in awhile. I bought one of Bob G's French Bows, and had been using that since my German bow broke. I was able to play the cheap German more easily than Bob's french bow (and from what Ive been hearing, I think German is easier for a beginner....at least thats my experience), but since Ive been practicing French lately, I've decided to work with it for awhile.
    I found its easier to get more arm weight and more volume/power with the German, but string crossing seems easier and more nimble with the French.... since my French technique is coming along, I might play that for awhile. Ill still fix the German and let you know how it goes. Silver and the other guys have given me good bass repair advice in the past, so I'd say just do what they've outlined above and you should be in good shape. Ill post back once I fix the German.