Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unattached saddles, what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigkill, Jul 7, 2004.

1. That's a quote from my other, "where's the cream filling" thread. I assume by "little blocks" he means saddles. The saddles on my Peavey are not attached to the bridge either. I've also read reviews on harmony-central, of a Spector model with unattached saddles. Can someone tell me what the deal is with these? Was it a neccessity based on the bridge design of these basses? That is my best guess. My other, is it just that maybe it's a cost saving feature, since it occurs on the cheaper line of most instruments?

Besides wanting to know what the deal is with these, does anyone know how to adjust intonation with these? When I changed strings on the Peavey and a couple dropped out on me, I did my best to just stick it back in matching the dirt pattern, before I cleaned up the bridge. lol I know that's not an appropriate way of doing it though. There may be a place for an allen wrench as on most saddles, but I didn't check very close, because if they aren't attached, how exactly would that work?

There may be a thread on this, and I apologize if so, but I wasn't sure how to seach for it. Still, I ran a quick search for "unattached saddles" and it came back empty. Anyway, appreciate any help/info in advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    RTFM

exerpt from the Spector owner's manual.

3. Ha! RTFM I love it! :D :bassist:

I would have, but I didn't recall what model of Spector it was, I just knew at some point I had read a review on one that had the unattached saddles. Also, I didn't know they had online manuals (assuming you pulled the quote from a .pdf). Everytime I visit their site, I spend all my time there drooling.

I re-examined the Peavy and did find a spot that looks made for an allen wrench at the top of the saddle. I assume that is for adjusting the saddle position. I don't understand the mechanics of how this works, but I'm going to give it a go.

I'd also still like to know if there was really a beneficial reason of leaving the saddles unattached? Just seems like a pain to me, but upon re-examination of the Peavey's bridge, I admit, I can't see a way they could have attached them. Oh well, thanks for the help! :D

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The Spector bridges also have a single screw on the SIDE of the bridge towards the bottom of the bass. This screw basically screws in and hold all of the individual saddles in place, preventing them from falling out when the string tension is loosened. To adjust, basically loosen that screw, loosen the string and move the saddle back or forward with your fingers, no tools required (except the allen wrench). I usually use the eraser end of a pencil. of course, your bass may not have the little screw on the side. I believe this bridge design came from Ned Steinberger in the 70's, when he was working with Stuart Spector together in New York. Don't quote me on that though.