Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unbalanced string response issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stanceyu, Mar 16, 2006.

1. :help:
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum...
    I already tried to search the posts on unbalanced string response issue, but couldn't find any specific suggestions....
    Anyway, here is my problem: I own Yamaha BBN4 III bass (the one with passive soupbars). I run it through Tech 21 SansAmp and sometimes through some cheap racks (Behringer Ultrafex pro, and Alto parametric EQ). Whether I'm going "straight" to amp (I don't have my own, instead I'm renting some Carvin or Randall) or through pre-amp or racks, my E string tends to go louder and bassier than other strings. I already tried different string sets, but currently I'm using Fender Pure Nickel. It seams that whatever I do, the problem persists. I've only noticed that when the strings are fresh new (about few days), seems like the problem is not that noticeable.
    Could it be cause of the pickups? I'm planning to put EMG 35DC and 35P, or some Bartolini if I get lucky enough to find a store that would send 'em to me here in Serbia and Monte Negro :bag: .

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Have you tried adjusting the pickups on the bass (E string) side? That's the first thing I'd try.

3. Yap! Didn't work...

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Compression can help to a certain extent, as well.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Look also at EQ habits.

6. When I record I usually have to compress it heavily... The bad thing is that I don't have any comp for live application. I guess I'll have to consider buying one any time soon...

I also tried various EQ curves, but the problem persists. The good thing about the Alto EQ I'm using is the low cut pot, so I usually roll off some bottom :)bawl:) to minimize the rumble of the E string.
    What I discovered yesterday is that I don't have this problem when the neck pickup is off. Bridge pickup seems to work fine, but the neck pu is the one that produce the "unbalanceness" (is that the word???). I guess I'll have to replace the pickups first, and after that maybe I should buy a compressor as jabberwock777 mentioned...

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've never heard of that problem with that model Yamaha on the neck pickup, although the neck pickup on any bass will tend to sound bassier because of the placement. Take the bass to a good tech and see if he can spot the problem. It's pretty hard to diagnose the problem without seeing and hearing the bass being played by you.