1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

unbasslichkeit's FRIDAY TRAFFIC RANT: Jump on In!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by unbasslichkeit, May 5, 2006.

1. If most of you are like me and are lucky enough to have a Friday night gig tonight, you will need to get home from work, deal with various family distractions, change clothes, load up the vehicle, and then drive somewhere. For me it goes something like this:

- 45 minute train ride on DC Metro, then getting out of the commuter lot...

- then getting home and talking and/or listening to my wife AND my 5 year old daughter, often at the same time, about everything that happened since their last phone call...

- checking the mail, making sure there's not any bills I need to not pay...

- helping take care of any crises like burned out light bulbs, garbage to be taken out, or worse, an emergency trip to the bank or store for something my wife couldn't get that day...

- making coffee in my favorite 24 oz stainless steel tumbler so as to wake me up from my trip on the Metro....

- wolfing down dinner when it's ready (if it's not been delayed, which it sometimes is)

- loading up the aforementioned vehicle...

- getting showered (if I'm lucky)..

- Getting dressed..

- getting in vehicle...

..and then getting back on The Road.

Ah yes..the road. In my case, it's Suburban Maryland to Occoquan Virginia via Interstates 295, 395, and 95 south, where at any point and for any reason traffic can come to a grinding screeching all ahead dead stop. And it will, I'm sure.

Anyway, it's 5:00 in about 3 minutes. Wherever you're going, go safe, and get back home the same way. Good weekend, y'all!

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    With as bad as the traffic has gotten here in the last ten years, I must say it's nothing like what I imagine you have to endure. Remember to breathe......

I'm outta here in about 20 minutes, 15 minutes to home. Kids are grown, I'm not married, so the only thing waiting at home are two cats, who take care of themselves for the most part. Perhaps a cocktail, very small load in/out (check small rig in my profile) and the gig is ten minutes from home. Play from 7-10, get a gourmet meal, and I'm home by 10:30, if I so choose.

For Saturday, rinse, repeat.

I have to say, life is good...

3. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I know that route well. Until a year ago I lived in Beltsville, and I often drive to Richmond to bring the kids to their mother, usually on a holiday weekend. Nothing like sitting at a dead stop on 95/295/395/495 and her on the phone telling me to hurry up! :rollno:

4. Well life's easier these days, but I used to find it stressful with two small babies to get sorted before leaving for a gig. They're 9 and 11 now, so it's a doddle by comparison.

At least you only have to wolf down the meal and not cook it as well :)

I still rarely have time for a shower before a gig, and make up and clothes choice is usually done and on within 10 mins of leaving house. (Before that is :D ) I once played a gig in my slippers.

I try to help load the car - at least I pack my own stuff up - but usually I'm trying to leave the kitchen and kids in a suitable state!

It is all for fun isn't it? (for most of us at least)

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Whaddya mean fun?? I need that 30 bucks!! :eek: :D

6. do u play at the redzone? lol

(redzone is this horrible little club that local bands go to to jam and get paid someplace near 20-30 dollars(for the entire band to split), unless your an extreamly well know band and then you might get upto 80 dollars to split among the band. it all depends on how many people come,

7. Exactly! I couldn't make a living out of what I earn. It has to be for fun or not at all :D
    Mind you we've just clinched a good earner! :hyper:
    Maybe I shouldn't get too excited - it's just one gig!

8. I don't really need it. But Metro does. And Exxon/Mobil say they do.

9. The ability to skirt traffic congestion--and let me tell you, that comes in handy in Los Angeles--is one of the few upsides of my vampire-like sleep schedule.