Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

UNBELIEVABLE BASS!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryJ, Apr 16, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    :D I apologize for the delay...I was hungry, & I had to torture some on the amp forum who lauged at my sorrow at not having an old EA VL!!
    Anyway, here we GO-
    Went to LA Bass Exch., needed a soft rack.
    They always have something....
    BASSLAB!
    FROM GERMANY!!!
    Do you know about these things?
    I had sorta heard, but there was a new one, I believe they call it their classic,'cause on thier website, they make some outrageous styles.
    This is a on-piece composite J-type-
    Wow- I just about totally maxed my Visa out, & I may go back there & do it! 2 grand!
    Keep in mind I have the best '69 P-Bass in history, a Sterling, and a Rick Turner Renaissance fretless, so its not like I fell off the "OP" truck or sumthin-

This axe weighed about an ounce! It was all ONE piece- neck/pickguard, body!! It had tight hardware, the bridge was so damn tight.
    This thing was played thru the "house rack"
    G*D*! Switched between an Aguilar/Demeter/Demeter/pre's/ Crest power amp,
    some stuff I don't even know about-Speakers-don't get me started!!! Aguilar! Demeter! Eden! Sheee..
    But the Bass! The Bass!
    I don't know how to tell 'ya- It was chunky and SOOOOO tight- so tight-
    I've played graphite, wood, aluminum (Vacarro)
    necks, this was -eerrrrrrrghghghghgh!
    Check them out- Please do not buy them I want the only one for me.
    I am in the doghouse for a lot of reasons w/ my wife- but I may have to camp out to justify this axe- Yes I'm stoked. These are unreal!!

Ok, I guess that's about it.:)

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    what other stuff did they have in stock? im going there on friday and havent been there for about a year. ive been dying to try out some epifani cabs.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    LABX had a lot of Aguilar, lots of Eden, I didn't see Epifani, although its been there in the past, & I know they can get it---Just give Long a call-
    Otherwise, between me and the awesome player there thumbin' a Celinder Jazz while I tried to do math about the BassLabs- I didn't focus on all the inventory- But they are putting in quite a bit of new stock.

And NO- it will not be allright until that Bass is here in my house, with me- You gotta dig it- I am particular & that axe sang to me- So, since I am basically immature & financially irresponsible, yet very creative, I must have it. Simple.
    Plus it was an outstanding instrument.
    Outstanding.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Larry- i just bought that bass- now my card is maxxed!!

just kidding, bro- its really fun to see someone hyped on an axe like that!!- enjoy! - peace! Adrian

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    awesome! post some pics and a review when ya get it. sounds great. how much?

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
  7. Finally !!!!

i thought i was the only person on this forum that thinks the basslab basses are a gift from the good Lord himself :)

they 100 % kick chubby, hairy butt !

i'm 100 % in love with the STD V with 3x hummbucker. b.t.w. the one you played is probably called " the soul ", right ?

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The Soul!!!
    Yes, Allodox, it was!
    Last night, as I pondered spendong 2 large for the
    Soul- Iplayed my '69 P-Bass which, to make a long story short, is amazing. I played my Sterling, I don't have to say a thing- I played my Renaissance Fretless- Sweeeet-
    But I still had a hole for the "SOUL"
    I can't describe the bass well enough- It was very
    light-composite, one-piece.
    It had tone to spare- Very hightech p/ups, pre-amp, obviously high-end build.
    The neck was totally unique- To me, it had a feel like a thicker Fender (I forget the radius and/or designation- A, B, C whatever) but the character of the composite material & the one piece configuration- Just outstanding to my taste.
    The instrument howled when I slapped it, and sounded like a 300-year old Upright when I rolled off the mids and went into my acoustic mode.
    Obviously, the state of the art rack I was playing through (Gawd!) helped, but 1st- I always play an axe unplugged to listen to the wood talk, or in this case, the composite material!
    I can't say enough about how impressed I was (actually, I already have).
    I checked my bank statement, I know that I will be sleeping on the couch for at least 2 weeks, but
    I really think I may have to pick this thing up!
    Guys, if you are considering an instrument, if you can find one of these to play- have at it!
    It really is a trip!

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i played that bass around a year ago. its pretty nice but it didnt do too much for me. 3750 is also pretty high, but they probably dont even have it anymore.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, Basslab has been discussed here before.

When I win the lottery, this one will be mine!

[​IMG]

11. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Hi, everybody!

Larry, good to hear you loved the bass -
    I really enjoyed your comments! ;>)

Thanks a lot!

Greetings (also to Larry´s wife.........)

Heiko

Please feel free to contact me, if you have any question!

12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, hello, there !! you are causing quite a stir over here!!- peace!!- Adrian

13. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Hi, Adrian!

Looks like a positive stiring.........!??!

Might be strange for some players to fall in love with a composite and not only with "living wood"?
    :>)

Thank you all!

Heiko

14. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hello Heiko-
    (Ilene, my wife, would say hello too, but she is pouting!...She'll get over it!)

Thank you for contributing- Prior to playing the "Soul", I had only looked briefly at your website-
    There is so much fine high-end equipment to view!
    Although I am by no means an expert, or a colloector, I have been playing bass for over 30 years, and I am proud of my "collection" including a
    outstanding '69 Precision re-built/restored.

In short, I've played a number of instruments, but the unique design, construction, and character of this particular instrument was fantastic to me.
    Sometimes, an instrument, be it wood, graphite,
    whatever, just "sings" when you play it- I had the same sensation when I found my 30+ year old Fender, sitting like abandoned child- spray-painted,
    rusted, etc- What a pleasure it was to restore it
    to awesome playability!

In this case, Already Done!- the instrument was to me a marvel of design and construction- It weighed next to nothing and was so perfectly set-up and so incredibly assembled and "tuned" that it was hard NOT to sound good.
    This bass is beautiful (it's a light-blue one)- I want to own it not merely as a possession, but because it makes me happy to play and inspires me to play more and to play better.
    Thanks for building it!

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Heiko- i have tried to visit your site and i get a heading a nothing else- i would love to see your work-

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What's so unbelievable about a BassLab Soul?
    Ah, you haven't met Heiko, that explains it!

I have (bragga, bragga:D ), so the Soul is just what I expect a good J-bass to be;)

But the STD...ooah!
    All it lacks is a low enough price, otherwise "good-bye, Fender".

18. I'm curious: How much exactly do these basses cost?

19. Heiko

Heiko BassLab

Apr 24, 2001
    Kassel, Germany
    Hi, everybody!

I don´t know, if I get banned from this site, if I talk about prices?
    O.k., you asked:

The shop retail price of the Soul-IV is actually approx. 2500,-U.S.$ incl. gigbag + tax
    Pricing can differ a little, since we have a lot of different options for electronics, PU´s and lacquer finish.

Adrian, I´m sorry you couldn´t get on the website. I really don´t know why. We use just a little javascript and nothing else........
    I´m actually not making the website things, but I´ll forward the info!
    (Did the direct link from JMX to the english version work for you?)

Suburban, wait until you hear the Soul bass that is currently in Sweden!!! Be careful, it´s a very punchy one! ;>)

This is the direct link to the Souls on the website:
    http://www.basslab.de/OCT/ENG/Instruments/Basses/TheSoul/thesoul.htm

The other picture is for Larry! ;>)
    It´s the ice-blue one, that is currently at L.A.Bassexchange! Maybe it doesn´t have the black pickguard? Not shure......

Thank you, folks!

Heiko