Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

unbelievable--beware

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PB+J, Jan 25, 2006.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I posted before about my effort to put an aggie opb-2 and 2 single coil Barts in my MIM jbass. The blend control simply would not work--when I had it on center, I got no sound at all, and when i had it panned to either side, both pickups came on full. I checked the diagram a dozen times--it was wired corectly. i called aguilar--they suggested switching a couple leads, which i tried. No luck. I took it to my local shop, where the amp tech confirmed that it was wired right.

So I ditched the blend pot and tried a volume/volume setup. Now with both volumes on full, I get no sound, with either volume backed off I get--yep--both pickups on

I want my money back--something is very wrong. It has to be the pickups. Anyone have this kind of problem before?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    if they're single-coil p'ups, the problem simply can't be with them. It's one wire, wrapped around a magnet, and you have both ends of the wire. They're that simple.

1. To verify the pickups are good, wire one of the pickups STRAIGHT to the output jack. tada. If you get sound, your p'ups aren't the problem.
    2. To verify your pots, wire straight to the pot, then straight to the output jack.
    3. Then throw the pre back in the mix. I bet it breaks it again.

3. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    Could it be you wired the pickups the wrong way around making them cancel each other out?

Just a guess, if not, probably the pre is bust

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Something is wrong but I'd put coin the problem is not in the components, the pups are probably wired out of phase. Swap the leads to their relative terminals on one pup - hot lead to ground and ground lead to hot.

Oh yeh, the barts probably have a braided ground. Just solder a pigtail to the braid and throw shrinkwrap or electrical tape around it to insulate it. You could wire the braid to the lug but it may be a pain to do that.

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Aguilar preamps don't have any blending circuitry so that can't be the problem. If the pickups are producing output then at least one of them is working - check both work wired direct. I suspect something is wrong with your wiring - maybe the pots aren't what you ordered or you're wiring to the wrong lugs.

Alex

6. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've run into this may times -- I change every vol-vol bass I get a hold of to vol-blend (my preference). And here are a few things I've found:

First, the blend pots I've gotten from stewmac (dunno if different kinds might behave differently) are not symmetrical -- that is, if you wire it "backwards" but in order, you won't just get the right results but with the knob turns being reversed...ok, this is sounding garbled...let me just describe my classic wiring experience:

(1) I always wire up the blend pot first, making rattails for the ground, out, pup 1 in and pup 2 in -- makes it easier to mount and then wire up.
    (2) Then I connect the top-left rattail to ground, top-right to output, and the two middle ones to the pups
    (3) I test and discover that I've got the pickups reversed (dialing back turns up the neck pup), so I have to swap the leads
    (4) then I discover that in the center postion (a) the pups are out of phase (thin nasally output), OR (b) the pups are OFF (zero output).

To cure (a), you have to change the wiring of ONE pickup -- swap the wires from their current ground-hot positions.
    To cure (b), you have to change the wiring of the ground and hot wires of the BLEND pot -- if you have those wired backwards, you'll get no output in the center spot and seemingly proper full single-pup output on either end.

And the hitch with Barts is that you often don't get two leads from the pup, but I've also not had out-of-phase problems with Barts.

Does that make sense?

Cheers!

ltt

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    It does--thanks. The local shop i took it to wired it up and it's working well now, but I'll save your message in case I run into this again