Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unbelievable

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Whappo Grande, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Unbelievable, is the best way to describe the CD that arrived today. The bass player is Jake Kot & his CD is called “Don’t Look Back.”

There are very few “bass player” CDs that are balanced, meaning more than just another bass CD. Jake actually wrote & arranged 8 out of the
    9 amazing compositions in this is a full scale project.

This is without a doubt the best CD (bass player or regular artist) that I have heard in a long time! It’s kind of like a very tasteful Yellow Jackets, only better IMHO. There are no guitars, but with Eric Marienthal on sax, Dave Weckl on drums & other monster trumpet, percussion, etc. players what’s to miss.

This is an absolute must CD if you love jazz! You can find it, as well as Jake’s other info, at Jakes website:

www.jakekot.com

Whappo

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I wish Jake had some sound bites or MP3s at his web site. You sparked my curiosity, but then I couldn't hear anything. The web site says "Don't Look Back" will be released Jan. 31. Where were you able to hear the CD, Whappo?

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Click the endorsement link on Jake's page. That kind of explains it, huh?

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I checked the endorsement link and all that was there was a description of the Conklin bass and the cabinet Jake uses. Did you receive an advance promotional copy of the CD?

5. www.accugroove.com

Check Whappo's profile. Close though.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    interestingly enough, jake is another one of the original guys on conklin 7. when i originally ordered my first 7 string (sn# 16), back in '93, i carried around a picture of jake's 7 that bill sent me to hold me over until mine was done.

i don't think jake is playing his 7's anymore. he had some kind of injury that hampered his playing severely. it's good to see that he's made some progress in spite of that injury.

7. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It say on his website that he is also working with acoustic bass guitar. Is he also using a Conklin bass for the acoustic stuff, and which one?

8. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Jake sent me an early copy of his CD. I've never heard him play before & wasn't expecting anything of this caliber.

Yes, he's endorsing our cabinets, but that has nothing to do with the fact that this is the BEST jazz album I've heard in a long time.

Whappo

9. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Jake's using a Conklin 4 string electric with black tape wound strings. I had a chance to play it at the NAMM show & although it’s fretted, it sounds just like a fretless Jazz. It's a very nice bass.

Plus, I got to know Jake & hang with him at the show. He not only a well rounded monster player, but a very humble & nice guy.

Whappo

10. I played a gig last weekend at a restuarant/night club that Jake frequents. He got a decent write up in one of our local papers and I was hoping he would stop by so I could compliment him on the review. He was there briefly on Friday evening. I had a chance to talk to him and he was gracious enough to give me a CD even though I didn't have the cash on me to pay for it. I, of course, will be sending a check in the mail... great CD. I was real impressed. I'm actually planning on give him a call to set up some lessons. It's great to know there are musicians of that caliber in our local area.;)