1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

unbelivable

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Your Uncle Al, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Your Uncle Al

Your Uncle Al

Jul 26, 2017
    here's one you guys aren't going to believe. I read an article on james jamerson ,my idol once in it he said his strings on his famous precision bass were 11 years old.i couldn't believe it.well this November my ghs flatwounds will be on my p-bass for TWENTY THREE YEARS. they still play in tune and intonate sound great like jamerson. no need for a mute or piece of foam by the bridge. time has served them well. I have no plans of replacing them. why mess up a good thing?

2. hemmerlinj

hemmerlinj

Sep 21, 2012
    Astoria, NY
    I think my Uncle went a good 10+ years of weekly gigging with the same flat wound set on his P-bass.

jamro217 and SactoBass like this.
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I went 20 years with a set of TI flats on my P Bass before they died.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Joe Osborn put Labella flats on his '59 Jazz around 1961, and kept them on well into the late '70s. Herbie Flowers put some Rotosound tapewound s on his Jazz in the early '69s, and they're still on there

Root 5, jamro217 and SactoBass like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I believe you.

6. This whole idea of some famous bassists playing with the same strings for years and years is nothing new.

If someone were to tell me Jamerson changed strings for every recording session, THAT I won't believe! ;)

Iristone, gepettus and jamro217 like this.
  7. Your Uncle Al

Your Uncle Al

Jul 26, 2017
    I'm glad someone out there believes me. I just wish i had the same luck with my guitars (accoustic and electric)anybody out there have brands that keep that new ringing tone for what seems like forever? thanks

jamro217 likes this.
  8. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    I went nearly 10 with mine. Every time someone complains to me about the ti cost, I think about this.

jamro217, SactoBass and Keger Jupit like this.
  9. The OP's GHS P Flats are 23 yrs old. Now that's what I'd call VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY! Even better than TI's. ;)

lizardking837, Iristone, teej and 5 others like this.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I bought a 56 from a local guy in 2003. He bought it new in 1957. I asked him about the strings. He said “i cant ever remember changing them”. Crazy

11. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    My Gibson EB-2 has the same flats from 1964. Same as they ever were!

Root 5, Iristone, jackn1202 and 9 others like this.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I paid $45 for the first set new in the box. Divided by 20 years that makes it $2.25 a year, and divide that by 365 and it's .006 cents a day.

Iristone, jackn1202, jamro217 and 3 others like this.
  13. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    D59DFB95-6321-4B06-BD4D-26C08C1CA671.

cataract, Amano, Microbass and 2 others like this.
  14. The flatwound strings on my '63 P-bass were installed in 1972. They don't have a lot of treble left, but they play very well and sound good.

Iristone, jackn1202 and SactoBass like this.
  15. I once went three years before I MADE the choice to just replace them just because.

SactoBass likes this.
  16. zubrycky

zubrycky

Aug 22, 2011
    I never change strings. Except if I break one, of course.

17. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I had a Teisco bass that I bought used in 1966. Strung it with flat wounds. Had the same strings on it when I gave it away in 2007. Don't bother to do the math. 41 years!

Pilgrim and jackn1202 like this.
  18. Inara

Inara Fierce Fun Fretless Female Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Seattle, WA USA
    Of course. And the person I replied to had TI's that lasted 20 years. My point wasn't that TI's have the absolute most value for the money, but that the much-complained-about TI cost is a very infrequent expense, compared to players who put on new roundwounds every few weeks, or even every few months.

19. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    My first bass, 69/70 Telecaster, had the factory until one broke which was 9 or ten years. About that time I went to a hot Bill Lawrence pick up and big fat round wound Roto's.

jackn1202 and jamro217 like this.
  20. Greg Waldon

Greg Waldon

Aug 22, 2017
    Mississippi
    None
    I had a set of GHS Bass Boomers on a Peavey Foundation for 16 years until my son decided to tune it for me (he was 3) and broke the E. They still stayed in tune extremely well. Tuned about once a month.

jamro217 likes this.