1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Unbend fretwire

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by octaedro7, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    My build has a dead flat fretboard, or in a fancier way, and infinite radius fretboard.
    The fret wire I bought comes in a roll, with a radius I´d say is around 7"-8".
    I´ve read that normally you´d want the fret wire to have a bit of a lower radius than the fretboard when fretting.

Should I unbend it perfectly flat or I can just go on as it is?

If it´s the first, any one knows a manual dyi method, i.e. not having to by a fret (un) bender to do it?

Feedback appreciated!

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    As long as your hammering is good, it's fine, justy press it down with your finger before you set the ends, and you'll be good to go

3. Thanks JC!

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    ;) no prob

5. Hey Octaedro , I just realized you're in the Netherlands. For my build, I'm using some dutch made fretwire (so they said when I bought it) don't know the brand, but they said they're good, and they were cheaper than the dunlop fretwire they had.

The one I bought came in a roll, unlike the Dunlop, and this actually meant I didn't have to bend it prior to fretting, since I have a radiused fretboard.
    Don't know how many dutch fretmakers there are, maybe I'm using the same frets as you...

It also seemed peculiar to me that instead of the "hooks" I always saw on frets (to hold on to the wood) these have more rounded "thingies" on the tang. or is this not uncommon at all?
    DSCF2197.jpg

6. I don´t know where my wire is made but it´s branded Boston. I bought it from a local supplier indeed. When googling it I only get dutch or german references (sellers).
    I don´t have it now with me so I cannot compare it visually. If I remember I´ll take it from my workshop to compare...