Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Unblending

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Jan 19, 2006.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I noticed recently that when the blended sound works best for my ears is when it ain't blended. Its when I have the mic going to the house and the pick up to my Woods. Then the other night a cat had a little PA at the gig that he wasn't using so I put the mic in and sat it right next to the woods. Sounded great. So I thought why not have a micro rig with a seperate small powered PA thing for the mic. I remembered i had this thing called RED (a super small powered PA thing). I tried it out last night and will tonight. Sounds great. Has anybody out there thought of taking the dual signal thing as far as the speakers? (for a personal rig)
    The rig I am taking tonight (woods LDS 1x8, RED) isn't larger then a 2x8 and having the signals seperate sounds a lot better.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Maybe you have a phase issue causing cancellation, and the PA by luck has the opposite phase. Does the Woods have a phase switch on one or both channels? If not, you might try flipping your pickup over.

3. Interesting concept. Any success I've had with amplified sound is when I get the low end and "core" of the note from the pu, and detail/air/high end from the mic. I guess it makes sense that rather than trying to get a single box to handle those two separate components, have a dedicated amp and speaker for each one. Maybe that's why the pub works well in it's volume range - biamping! I was thinking about unloading mine, but now maybe not...

4. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    yea its not phasing I'm talking about (the woods AND Solstice are equipt with phase buttons, its having the mic and pick up come out of different speakers rather then being blended out of one. Its just my ears telling me this but it seems to give a lot more definition to each sound.
    Nobodys tried this eh?

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I tried that before with two different pickups, and also tryed a mic and a pu off the same bass and I agree you get better control and definition coming from seperate amps & speakers. It seems that when your blending two signals out of one speaker the two signals are fighting for control over certain frequencies. That's just what it seemed like to me anyway. I never think a mic sounds that great coming out of a bass amp as opposed to a pa of some kind.

Kevinlee