uncanned meat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nanook, Feb 16, 2004.

1. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I was just wondering how many people go out and kill their own meat.

It's a natural thing, just like growing your own vegetables and way more healthy than buying that supermarket mystery meat.

Let me say I highly recommend.
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If catching fish and eating them counts, I do.

Like you, I highly recommend it.

Harrell S.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, here in densely populated Germany it's next to impossible, except when you get yourself a hunter's licence (expensive). Arms law is another factor. Fishing is an alternative, though.
    So, the next best thing, organic meat directly from the farm.
  4. I love ground moose in a spaghetti sauce. :smug:

I said ground moose, not mound goose!!!

I don't kill it myself, though, my father and one of my brothers are hunting/fishing fanatics and their freezers are always full of meat.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I do. I also accept donations from friends. I have one friend who works out on a large piece of forest in east Texas and they work very closely with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. to manage the enormous deer population out there. Anytime we want a deer he can get us one. I opted for that this year as the hunting on my property absolutely SUCKED! (actually I'm trying to establish a new stand, which can take a while as you try to learn the deer's habits and trails - ah the infamous "hunter's excuse") Actually I normally hunt ducks a lot more than deer but this year I didn't get to go out there during prime duck season (newly married and all) and the ducks were thin to nonexistent before then.

brad cook
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think hunting is cool, but fishing (traditional hook style) is brutal. I mean if my options were being shot in the head or being hooked by my mouth, pulled quite a distance by my hooked mouth, then suffocated I think I know what I'd choose.

P.S. I'm normally not one of those animals rights freaks.
  7. I haven't been hunting in a LONG time. But I like to hunt deer, snake, quail, and emu(yes-emu).
  8. LMAO!!!

Tres drole mon frere du goose! :D

Personally, if meat gets much more expensive, I'm going to embrace cannibalism. :p

This made my morning.

Thanks, Dave.

Mike :)
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - This past summer, I played an outdoor festival where Ted Nugent was one of the artists. Practically all he talked about backstage was bowhunting and how much healthier it is to eat wild game instead of meat such as feedlot beef.

Maybe there something to it. The guy looked way healthier at 55 than many of the people in their 20's.
  10. Yo welcome, bro!
  11. i luv to fish, i fish for salmon, cod, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, rainbow trout, steelhead, crappy (if im bored), perch,marlen (if i had some money)........................................................................................................... i luv to fish almost as much as i like to bass it up
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Don't worry Matt, they (the fish) don't feel it. A very wise man once said "It's okay to eat fish, because they don't have any feelings..."

I used to hunt and I still fish a lot. I fish for everything, but I always catch and release. I throw back my catch partially because most of the fish I catch that are good food fish are species that are considered endangered or at least species who's numbers are signifigantly threatened. (salmon/steelhead) The more abundant fish that I catch are generally species that I don't prefer to eat. (Bass, hatchery Trour, etc.) ...and the biggest factors of all - 1) guts are yucky and 2) when I'm done fishing for the day, I'm tired. I don't want to clean fish. At the end of the day, I'd rather catch fish all day, not impact my local fishery, and stop off for some fish and chips at a restaraunt on the way home if I feel like eating fish.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

But they are stinky too... :p
  14. Has anyone eaten meat that seems to have a supernatural character or origin, i.e. uncanny meat? :rolleyes: :D

Mike :D
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

16. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    If it weren't for bacon, I would never have to go to the grocery store.
  17. I love fishing,fish taste great too/
  18. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yesterday morning a I bagged a big 'ol turkey. I called him in by yelping and purring with a slate call and he gobbled initially but it surprised me when he actually showed himself because he hadn't gobbled for a while and I actually thought I'd lost him. It was pretty cool though when he came strutting in with his feathers all spread out and showing. Had a clean shot - all head no meat. There's lot of meat on these guys and he was pretty heavy...didn't have a scale to weight it though. I think he was fully mature but not that old. Beard was only slightly over 4 inches long. He's definitely good for a meal or three....or four... Too bad the bag limit in Bastrop County is one though.

brad cook
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I stepped on a ladybug this AM, didn't eat it though. My cat eats ladybugs and always spits them back out. -If a cat thinks they taste horrible, I'm not going near them.
  20. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :D That is hilarious. Do I take it then Bliss that you'd scarf down on some meow mix then?

"My cats breath smells like catfood".- Ralph Wiggum/ and so does Bliss's :eek: