uncensored tb.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Stephen Soto, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i'm really really sick of these stuipid mods. deleting stuff cause it's too "vulgar" or too against some tiny little rule that really nobody at all cares about or the least bit "offensive" or even not at all. anyway, could you make some thing under the options or something, or in the options or something that could make TB uncensored? or something at least then. there are so many posts and stuff that don't get read because it will "offend" someone. if you made that, then people could turn the cencoring on and off if they wanted.
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

TB uncensored=tabcrawler, just go there..........

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i wasn't talking about ALL the mod's. just a few. but i don't think that like (ex. ****) should be censored out, just if one certain comment/post makes a mod, or anyone else kind of pissed of, then that isn't a reason to delete it though. like the whole thing with my "hot chicks at gigs thread" that thread was badass man. but some dumbasses at work decided to not work, and browse TB and get themselves in trouble, looking at stuff that they shouldn't have been looking at in the first place. that was a good thread :D. certain stuff like that.
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I wouldn't mind being able to say **** and ****, but do you need to curse in your posts? Ericman197 thinks not.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, because cursing makes everything cooler. :rolleyes:

You have no idea how ridiculous you sound. :rollno:
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does it hurt when you type? Because it hurts when I read.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First, I'm ready to ban you for a few days for calling any of my brothers stupid. As far as the "some tiny little rule that really nobody at all cares about".... Paul created the rules and we agreed to them in signing up, us mods are mods for free out of our love of TalkBass.... here to help keep this place from being just another place for idiot children to make themselves feel big by ripping on other idiot kids or post stuff to jack to ...

If you feel the need to use profanity or vulgarity in the place of wit or intellegent conversation, please take a moment to try IRC (internet relay chat) or better yet, troll some AOL chat rooms.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Doh! too late :bassist:
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I use profanity in actual, live conversation, but just out of habit. There really isn't any need for it in general, and it just pollutes TB. It's exceedingly refreshing to come here to TB where there aren't any arse-backwards political discussions, flaming wars, "demod-so and so" topics, or curse-filled topics. Clearly, it isn't a "tiny little rule that really nobody at all cares about", because apparently, a LOT of people care about this and fully support it.
  10. Am I right in thinking that Steve Soto got banned for merely suggesting that the forums got eased up a bit !?! :eyebrow:

I thought everyone was into freedom of expression.

I don't think his suggstion to be able to configure your account to your own level of obscenity is that bad, it would be a pain to implement though I'm sure :)
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    I'd suggest a quick reread of #1 #2 #3 & #5

Rule #1: Respect
    Address all forum members with the utmost respect at all times. If you do not agree with a fellow member, be courteous in your response. Thomas Jefferson said it best: "When I hear another express an opinion which is not mine, I say to myself, he has a right to his opinion, as I to mine".

Because of the limitations of text based communication, the expression of intent can be tricky. One of the most common triggers of rule violations is the misinterpretation of intent behind a post. Use smilies often, and remember, it never hurts to begin a response with "In my opinion"...

If you do not address everyone on the board with respect, be prepared to lose your membership.

Rule #2: Profanity and Obscenity
    Because this forum is viewed by bassists of all ages, all posts must be suitable for viewing by young teens. All profanity must be completely covered with asterisks, or substituted with "@%$#" symbols. Obscene material is not permitted, nor are links to websites containing such material.t. If what you have to say wouldn't be suited for network TV, don't post it here.

Rule #3: Off-limitTopics
    Controversial topics started for the purpose of creating "mega threads" will be VERY closely moderated (ie, "Off Topic" forum discussions on religion & politics). At times, such threads may be banned altogether - be sure to check 'sticky' postings from the forum moderators for current policies.

Rule #4: Cultural Sensitivity
    Negative remarks based on race, ethnicity, or religion will not be tolerated.

Rule #5: Questioning a Moderator...
    If you have a disagreement with a moderator (If your thread gets deleted, if you get a warning, etc.), DO NOT post your complaint publicly on the forums. If you have a problem with a moderator's actions, PM or email the moderator privately. If the moderator's response is unsatisfactory, email the administor (username: Paul).

We take all complaints seriously, but posting your dissatisfaction publicly will result in a rule violation.

Rule #6: Use Courtesy via PM & IM
    Please use courtesy when using the E-Mail, ICQ, or IM functions of the board. Any complaints of members abusing these messaging functions will result in membership termination.

Rule #7: Spam = BAD
    The posting of non-solicited advertisments in the forums will not be tolerated. Examples include starting a new thread for the purpose of advertising a product for your business, or posting an ad to a pre-existing thread that does not pertain to the thread's topic. If you submit a post about your business, be sure it is worded tastefully, on-topic, and not a generic SPAM. Moderators have absolute discretion. Please contact TalkBass to discuss legit advertising opportunities.
  12. Dear Speddling

I wasn't sure whether to PM or post publicly with this post.

Firstly did Steven Soto get banned for the "stupid mods" comment (re rule #1)?

If so IMO thats a bit rough (which was his point in the first place) because it seems to me it was an "off the cuff" remark and not a personal attack on any one mod. It seemed to be fairly light heated (as was your comment "I'm ready to ban you for a few days for calling any of my brothers stupid.")

As for the rest of the rules I think they are all fair enough you are obviusly trying to keep a PG rating on these forums and that is fine.

Rule #5 is potentially a bit worrying though. As I said at the top I wasn't sure whether to go public or not, doesn't this conversation deserve to be publicly held so that all the participents on this board can have a say. Having said that I realise that you don't want to get into a flame war with a disgruntled TBer in the public arena

I'm not trying to cause a fuss here but I think this is potentially an important issue.

13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So everyone here thought TB was a good forum, so the went to the trouble of registering. Did you ever wonder why this is such a great forum? It's because the rules encourage a friendly and helpful environment that attracts bass players of all levels. Paul's rules go the great lengths to maintain that, and we as mods act as Pauls eyes and ears. By signing up, you agree to abide by those rules. If you don't want to respect those rules or those that monitor them, then you should think twice about why you're here. If stiring the pot is your thing, there are plenty of other forums you can go and vandalise, but TB is not going to become one of them.
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    first... I didn't ban him, nor was I part of the posts in question that led to his posting this thread.

second... rule #5 stand as writen, Paul even gives all of us the *fix* if private conversation fails.

third... if the mod that did the banning feels need to justify his actions, he might PM you.

but... I say again:

Welcome to TalkBass... the important issues have been addressed in the Forum Rules, along with the means for resolve.

generally the "I wasn't sure" clause is bunk as the rules say EXACTLY what to be sure of...
  15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It was a personal attack, on me. I corrected SOMEONE ELSES post, and his mature self spoke up and told me to "quit my bitching". That was enough for me to place a temporary ban for it. Seeing this thread, and his behavior, I have decided to make it permanent, at least as far as my end goes. Anyone who wants to act like an immature, big shot loud mouth, taking personal at mods will find the door as well. He knew the rules, and decided to break them blatantly, for something that didn't even concern him. He got what he wanted apparently, and if he wants to make it personal, he should do more than flex is jawbone and internet muscles.

The rules were put into place to help ensure talkbass wouldn't turn into a typical trash site, like so many end up. As the site grows, it gets increasingly hard to maintain a reasonable signal to noise ratio. I find there isn't a single mod here who is hard to get along with, or unreasonable with how they handle things, as long as it is handled properly, NOT THE WAY THIS WAS DONE!! This is a lot of the reason why questioning a mod in public is against the rules, otherwise this kind of crap becomes the standard, and the quality of the site as a whole declines.

No mod is perfect (except jt maybe :D ), so if you feel something was handled unjust, or someone is being treated unfairly, it is in everyones best interest to contact paul directly about it.
  16. Did't Thomas Jefferson also say, "I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." ?
  17. Fair enough then :)

I just wasn't sure. Maybe my next suggestion should be that ,rather than just saying "banned", the persons name could also include a one sentence reason :)
  18. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
  19. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Thread closed, but will be addressing some issues privately -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.