Uncomfortable with a bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Feb 13, 2001.

1. Today at school the main drummer/guitarist/aspiring bassist in my band and I went down into the auditorium during one of our free periods to just mess around with some drum & bass stuff while we were waiting for the other 2 members of the band to come down to practice Everlong (We're playing it this Friday at my school's talent show... :D).
    Anyway, he has a bass of his own, and likes to fiddle around with it every now and then, and he asked if he could play mine for a while (My Fender with bridge & pickup covers... :D) and he told me to play drums to what he was playing. Well, with my left foot in a cast I found it uncomfortable to rest it on the hi-hat pedal thingy, and just as uncomfortable to keep it on the ground. Anyway, that's not the point of this. :p
    The point is he was playing something, but stopped halfway through and said "I can't do this on your bass. I'm not used to this thing (referring to the pickup cover)."
    I then suggested that he try playing up closer to the neck, but he said "I can't do it there, either. I'm used to playing here." and he rested his hand over the pickup cover. I just sort of giggled, and we switched back.
    I never did get around to playing any drums. I just felt kinda...I dunno, awkward with the drum set and a stick in either hand... :D:p
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Sheepman I have never used the pickup covers because I dont smoke.

3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    It's always kinda irritating to me when the guys want to play musical chairs with our instruments... I don't know why they do that... If I wanted to play drums, I would be a drummer. I think guitarists like to play guitar on a bass because it gives them that big fat thick and chuncky sound that they generally are denied.
  4. ...
    Could you sorta...elaborate a little?

And as for 'musical chairs' with our instruments, I don't really mind it when my bandmates wanna play my bass, cuz they all know how expensive it is, and that if they bust it they'll have to pay me back.
    Heck, most of my non-bass/guitar playing friends like to try it out, and I don't mind, I just tell them how much it cost, and if they bust it they pay for it. They seem to understand pretty well. :D
  5. I don't know, t does look kind of cool on stage, though. At our last gig my garage band did this song called "Chinese Fire Drill" where in the middle the lead goes into a solo and everyone else scrambles around and ends up on a different instrument. It makes everyone look really talented cause they can play another piece. I ended up with rythm guitar.

Rock on
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sheep Man, I believe that CS is referring to the popular name for the bridge cover.

For years, they have been referred to as ash trays
  7. Ok...
    so then...
    my not understanding this would mean that I don't smoke, right?
    Wait, why do I have to ask? I DON'T smoke! :D