1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Uncomfortable with band.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 13, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    Hey.

I've just gotten a band together, and already it seems to me like it won't work out. Our guitarist is good and tight, our drummer is also OK, and IMO, my playing is good to. We've had one band prectice, and it's all cool, but i don't really think that this will work out. I'm just not cool with the whole situation. I'm thinking of leaving the band, and hanging out with the guitarist, who also happens to be my best friend, but I'm not sure. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Why don't you think it will work out? You haven't even had time to mesh yet.

3. I bolded the important parts. From that it sounds like a good situation with me, unless by the drummer being "also OK" you meant "he's actually not that good and I don't see it working in the long term".

In which case yeah, talk to him about to see if there can be change, or move him on if you feel it's best for the band.

Starting a band then quitting and leaving the joining members hanging will risk damaging your rep in the long run.

Cheers,

4. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    how so?

5. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    You don't really give much information there. Do you have a gameplan with this band? Have you discussed the direction you want to go? Got any music written? If you are seriously pursuing a project as a band it's best to get together with everyone and state your objectives, style, direction and so on. That way you all know where you are going roughly.

If you think that after one practice that everyone is going to be on the same page and you should be able to see the future of the band, you are bound to be disappointed. Some bands come together quickly, then again those bands usually have a lot more experience than I am assuming you would. It takes times and direction before a band takes shape. The best thing for you to do is to have a meeting and discuss your objectives as I mentioned above and go from there.

Unless you guys all have completely different agendas or just don't like each other, you are being a little bit premature in assuming the band isn't going to work out.

6. What exactly are you unhappy about? You feel it wont work out but you didnt say what your reasons were.

7. Can you give us a few reasons why it WON'T work out? You really haven't given it much of a chance with only one practice...unless there are some personal issues that you think are impossible to resolve. Give it a chance man...

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I haven't been at all specific, and will now specify.

The guitarist and i have known eachother for 2 years, and are the best of friends, but i've just met this new drummer, and he's in a much better financial situation than us, and he seems strange. We have mostly the same influences, but it seems that our guitarist is trying to take us in more of a pop-punk direction, while i'm trying for a more NWOBHM/heavy rock vibe. Our drummer is a solid middle, but he's been playing for a year, and sometimes has trouble keeping time. These are my main concerns. My second concerns are that the guitarist has just joined another band in his spare time, and the drummer has become a part of 2. We'd like this band to go somewhere, or at least i do.

I hope that was slightly more specific.

9. I would keep jamming with the band and start my own project

10. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Sounds like the drummer is not good, and the guitarist wants to different music than you do.

From that, I'd say you don't have a band at all.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sounds like you had more of a jam session. Bands get together to rehearse. They practice as home.

Seems like you should have a meeting and discuss what you posted here with the other "band" members and find out what they think. It's sounds like you want to get another drummer. What does the guitar player think?

If you just leave w/o discussing anything, you'll always be leaving projects/people (in band and real life) because you've already concluded it's not going your way. That's just the way it is working with people.

You need to learn to speak up and state your case for whatever it is you're trying to do. That way you'll find people who agree with you or not. Best to know up front and be with people who are on the same page as you.

Read my sig.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What does this have to do with anything?

13. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1, the drummer being better off than you doesn't seem like it should be a problem. Hell, I've used this to help bands I've been in! :) I'm usually not the "best off" in any band I join by far, but it's no reason to discriminate people. The only time I see it a reason to quit is if they feel the need to rub it in my face and make me feel like less of a person.

14. I'm actually more confused. in your origial post you stated you want to leave the band and hang with the guitar player. Is this the same player who in the above post wants to go in the "pop-punk" direction? Also, it seems you are a trio so if you want to continue with the same guitarist why leave the band? Just get a new drummer. It is late and I'm tired so I may have read incorrectly.
    Oh yeah, what is NWOBHM?
    Don't mind me I probably need to go to bed :confused:

15. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    You have played just once with this configuration. Why not give it a little time (play together some more) before reaching conclusions.
    If the drummer is in such a good "financial situation" he can take some lessons and take the time to work on his chops.
    A discussion of your future musical direction is also in order.

16. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    It doesn't really have to do with anything, it was just weird. All your advice was very helpful. Thanks to everybody.

17. NWOBHM = New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Think Iron Maiden/Motorhead.

18. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    He's still my friend, but all the song he's writing are sounding very pop-punkish. I still want to be friends, but he's trying to take the band in a different direction.

19. +1. best thing i ever did/worst thing talkbass ever heard :D