Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Uncommon Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Uncommon Fender Basses

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This confirms my opinion that Fender should stop trying to do new designs (ok, I know the first one was made in the 80s).

Wasn't the first one posted not to long ago?
    The second one reminds me of the Heartfield line a few years back.

3. The first one is a Fender Performer bass MIJ, right?

4. The very last one is a P-bass Lyte, not a bad bass if you ask me. The others are proof that Fender has tried other designs and didnt get too far with them. At least they tried to get away from the standard J and P!

jtbp

5. Hmm... I don't know about that... there have been few changes on the P-bass lyte during the past few years, the newer ones have a bridge pickup similar to American Deluxe P-bass' one. Plus, if I remember correctly, the Lyte version has an active eq, a 3-band one on the new version. The pictured bass seems to have a vol-vol-tone config....well, appearances betray...

I wouldn't vouch for the bass on the picture to be a p-bass lyte... could be a "California Jazz Bass" though. It was marketed by that name and was (and, to quote a TB member, as always I could be wrong) one of the first Fenders to have a P/J config...

6. Ahh...the Fender Performer with the THIN 24 fret neck......

7. The second bass you posted is not really uncommon... Its called MB something If i'm not worng.. I've seen many of them in stores but never in catalogs or in the fender website..

I had a doubt about a guitar model named "Squier" but it was a Fender, not a Squier. that a friend of mine owned.. It was a neck through guit with a very thin body and floyd rose.. It looked a lot like an esp.. but prettier. I loved it ... Never found it in any catalog or website thught.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I think odd fenders are cool. Can't blame em for trying new things, although some of the shapes make me wonder......

I think they should keep making weird stuff, something they try might become a staple of modern bass society, ya never know.

9. My FIRST bass was a Fender Bullet back in '84. Still have her. But, now she has a Hipshot bridge, D-Tuner, Dimarzio's.....

10. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i recognize the MB4. never liked those. That first bass actually has a cool body style IMO, but the headstock needs work... more mass is required at that end of the bass to balance it out.

11. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    The second to last looks like a Bronco to me, but I could be incorrect.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The P-Lyte is actually the most comfortable Fender I've ever played.

13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The "P-Lyte" ish one is a custom shop P bass deluxe or something like that. I met a guy who had one, it was quite a nice bass (they made a handfull). It was no P-lyte though... it was hefty. Had Kubicki elects (like the Stu Hamm Urge 1, another oddball Fender).

If my world came tumbling down around me and a huge pile hit the fan and I was forced to (gulp!) own a Fender... (let it never come to that, Lord!), I'd get either a Stu Hamm Urge 1 or some other bass they had with active Kubicki electronics. Let's just hope that never happens {{Squeezes Modulus tightly}}.

14. If I recall, there was 2 versions of the P-Bass lyte, as I remember it. There was the normal one with a P/J pickup config, and then there was the Deluxe that had the P/dual J humbucker pickups. They stopped making them a little while ago, and the only thing similar now is the Zone bass.

jtbp

15. that MB4 is very washburn-ish.

16. I had an MB-5 for a while. It didn't look quite like the picture shown. The body is not offset like a Jazz, more like a strat look actually. Also there was no sculpting on the neck joint, and it had the standard 4 screw neck plate. Also the headstock didn't have a little pointy bit on it. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

Stay Low,

Basstrader

17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    For those debating the MB4 against the Zone and the P-Lyte here are some useful URLs:

contemporary Squire MB4

Fender Zone Deluxe

The Squire MB4 resembles basstraders Fender MB5 picture. The original picture of this thread that people suspect of being a P-Lyte is indeed an early model P-Lyte. It even shows up in the Fender Bass book. The site where that picture was taken from also lists it as a P-Lyte.

Just thought this might be interesting to some of you for comparison sake.

Best Wishes,

Dan

18. first one=Fender performer

Fender a= Fender Prophecy (MIJ I think in the same factory as the Heartfield series)

Fender i= Fender bullet

Fender ii= Fender Precision 40th anniversary model(active electronics, 22frets, PJ lace sensor p/ups ebony fretboard, fine tuning bridge, quilted top)

19. I've got Klaus Blasquiz's Fender bass book but there's no PJ bass without a pickguard in it- is that a newer edition of the book that you have?