Unconventional modular DIY cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tslinkert, Jan 11, 2015.

1. tslinkert

tslinkert

Feb 14, 2011
    Hi all, I'm Thomas from the Netherlands. I'm a beginning bass player and I've never learnt an instrument before so it's going quite slow. I recently got myself a Harley Benton Kahuna ukulele bass and I'm very happy with it! My fretting hand doesn't hurt any more after playing like it did with my dad's jazz bass that I'd been borrowing, so I play it almost every day. Around the same time I got interested in building speakers. I built these three cabs and wanted to show them :)

2x6" top cab
    2x Fane Sovereign 6-100, 1x Mivoc XGH 258 ALU
    4 ohm, 96 dB/W, 200W RMS, -3dB @ ~75Hz
    Passive crossover @ 2550Hz (with switch)
    25x35x35cm, 8.4kg

For the 2x6" top cab, I was mainly inspired by Arjank's Piccolo8 horn reflex cab, since I really liked the clarity of bass lines on my small horn reflex bookshelf speakers. I was also inspired by greenboy's cabs that have 6" mids and a tweeter as a vital part of the sound. I was also inspired by Bill Fitzmaurice's XF guitar cabs that mount two speakers in a cross-firing position and with a rear tilted baffle. I designed the cab using Hornresp. When I'd finished it, it was a bit peaky in the 100-300Hz region but after stuffing the driver volume it sounded a lot better.

At practice volume, the 2x6" goes low enough on its own. Over ~40W, I needs a high pass filter >150Hz to keep from farting out (xmax) and I add one or two of the TH cabs.

10" tapped horn "subs"
    Mivoc AWM104
    4 ohm, 97 dB/W, 200W RMS, 50-175Hz ±3dB
    30x45x45cm, 16.3kg

These I did not design myself, they are THAM10 as designed by Anders Martinsson. I did however load them with different woofers after simulation in Hornresp - they are less efficient drivers so they produce less noise outside of the horn bandwidth which hopefully makes the crossover a bit easier. Also, they have 9mm xmax!

I'm not in a band so I don't use the THs for bass guitar often. I did use them as subs at a house party recently, I got compliments about the clear bass even though they don't go very low. Currently, I'm using one as a 2.1 sub to my stereo.

Practice amplifier
    I'm using a tpa3116d2 amplifier board from Ebay. I modded it to PBTL and managed to cram it into a 125B size stomp box. It does around 50W/4ohm or 100W/2ohm and the gain is perfect for practising without a preamp. To my surprise, plugging the 2x6" in with a TH in parallel (so without a crossover) sounds really nice with the ukulele bass.

Big amplifier

I bought a Behringer NU1000 amplifier. It's a stereo amplifier, so I can run the 2x6" on one channel and the THs on the other channel. It should do about 2x210W RMS into 4 ohms or 2x380W RMS into 2 ohms. And it weighs only slightly over 3kg!

Although I still have some finishing to do, for a first build (apart from some small bookshelves) I'm really happy with what I've made :)

P1350280.jpg P1350268.jpg P1350282.jpg

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Neat project, and photogenic to boot.

wave rider likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Neat stuff!

4. I can dig it!

5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    nice!! So cool to build your own.....

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I love your creative outlook! Cool Uke bass, too.

7. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Good work Thomas!

I remember seeing photos of TB'er Passinwind's separate low frequency and mid/tweeter cabinets, might be worth a look. He is a real nice guy and very helpful.

=wr=

8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Wow, VERY IMPRESSIVE for a newbie speaker builder! I LIKE the crossfiring 6's... great for small acoustic gigs. Nobody takes that much into account on their first build. Nobody. Are you an engineer?

On the tapped horns, I do have a question: How did you install the screws on the far side of the woofer cone?

What tweeter is that, if you don't mind? I was gonna guess Ciare or Beyma, but I'm not sure.

9. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Hi tslinkert, nice to see some other Dutch speakerbuilder on TB! Goed gedaan man!
    I know those Mivoc drivers, normally not very suitable for bassguitar but in a tapped horn they will shove a lot of air when fed with enough power.
    And very cool that you are inspired by my hornreflex cab :thumbsup::bassist:
    Where do you live? I'm from Alkmaar

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    T_Bone_TL likes this.
  10. Silas Stingy

Silas Stingy

Feb 19, 2009
    U.K
    Wow, impressive!

11. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Very nice work! And I salute your wonderful command of English. Better than most Americans :).

joe vegas likes this.
  12. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I'm going to guess Mivoc XGH 258 ALU :^)

13. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Mivoc, is a German company(factories in Asia). The man behind Mivoc started in his parents garage assembling speakerkits :)

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  14. tslinkert

tslinkert

Feb 14, 2011
    Thanks a lot guys :)

Thanks, I might question him about his crossovers. I think his crossover point is around 500Hz like the greenboy cabs. I want to push the crossover point down to below 200Hz.

Haha, thanks. I study to be an engineer. I'd been lurking different forums for over a year, gathering ideas. I have problems with overthinking and putting ideas into something practical so this was a big leap for me. :)

They're hex screws so I used a hex key, but they were indeed a big pain.

It's indeed a Mivoc XGH 258 ALU. It was the loudest tweeter I could find that would fit on the baffle and that could still cross over at 2500Hz. That, and the €25 price tag was nice. In fact, all the drivers were quite cheap. I wouldn't have been able to buy a single Kappalite with what I spent on the 5 drivers combined!

If it wasn't for your cab design, I wouldn't even have tried this. Would love to hear yours some time. I live in Wageningen but I'm originally from near the Hague. And yes, those Mivocs in the THs can really rattle the house when pushed. But I was surprised that they do well at really low volume too! I use one as a 2.1 sub to my stereo set right now.

15. tslinkert

tslinkert

Feb 14, 2011
    One problem I ran into is feedback; even with the stompbox amp I can easily make my uke bass feedback on any note. At a certain volume it's nice to have infinite sustain but if I want to play louder I suppose I'll have to get further away from the cab. Or better still, get a solid body uke bass.

lz4005 likes this.
  16. There are a few different cross over designs used in greenboy's cabs, but they generally cross over ~800hz or so.

17. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    I think that happens with most of the "speakerfreaks"on this forum, it happens to me a lot for sure ;)

18. S-Bigbottom, nzscott and T_Bone_TL like this.
  19. tslinkert

tslinkert

Feb 14, 2011
    I like how you built the little mixer and a computer power supply into it!

Emanuel Apascaritei likes this.
  20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    @tslinkert, those are very nice cabs! Well done, I especially like the matching THs.

@Emanuel Apascaritei, that is perfect for acoustic jams etc. Is it a PC PSU in it? Whats the sound like?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021