1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Unconventional sixer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insidesout, May 11, 2006.

1. Insidesout

Insidesout

Apr 7, 2006
    hey guys.....Nice to be with my people(!).

I had an idea the other day. I love the higher register but love the B on my fives for positioning and versatility.

Are there sixes out there that start with E(ADGC)?

It seems like it would be the right thing for me. Does this exist yet or is it just a matter of time before I call up some boutique?

I don't want to pay a kidney for something like this but I figured I ask people that pay attention to the dealers more than I have been lately.

I haven't looked into it yet.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think it would just be a matter of stringing a sixer up how you'd like it. At the absolute worst, the only mods necesarry would be a new nut and a neck adjustment.

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  4. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

I think more like, tuned EADGBE for those guitarists who don't know how to play bass. ;)

So TS, your question wasn't very clear but I think you want to get a six string and tune it EADGCF? It's rare, but it exists. You don't have to buy a special bass, just get a regular six and switch the strings. You could buy a 7 string set and ditch the low B or buy a 4 string set and individual C and F strings.

It's not that hard of a transition, just switch them, let your bass adjust to the tension change and then do a setup. You don't necessarily need a new nut, I know guys who have strung their five strings EADGC and the nut was fine, but some people have complaints about buzzing. I think it depends on the bass and string gauge.