Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Undecided (advice needed - Lakland and Fender owners)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Morales, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm a long-time guitarist who has recently gotten into bass just to try something new and also because two friends of mine needed a bass player to complete a once in a while jam session. Anyway - I don't have too much time to play/practice but wanted to get a pretty good bass to practice/jam on.

I initially bought a Stingray 4 but returned it because I wanted more versatility. I recently ordered a MIA Jazz that I am to receive tomorrow (got a pretty good deal on it-$850). Anyway, since I am not a full-time musician or bass player - I'm starting to think that my money might be better spent on something cheaper like an Ibanez or a Lakland 55-01. Probably all the quality I'll ever need in a bass plus I'll still have $300 left over from returning the Fender Jazz to spend on either a decent practice amp or other non-musical investments. On the other hand - it would be nice to have a Fender Jazz in the collection.

Any thoughts on the quality/sound of the Lakland? I play mostly rock, blues, and a bit of Jazz.

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I can't give you any advice about the Lakland as I've never played a 55-01.

I will say that if you're up to i you could return the Jazz and use the money to buy a used MIA for around $500+. I believe that there is one up for sale now, if I'm not mistaken.

FWIW....

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You cannot go wrong with an american made fender IMO.