Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Undecided on what to buy out of the two.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MadPink, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Out of the two: Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver D.I and the Dunlop Mxr M-80 Bass Driver D.I which one should I get?

2. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Just recently, I tried out both several times, and I ended up buying the Sansamp BDDI. IMO, it was much better for what I wanted. I was able to get a much more diverse tone out of it because of the active control boosts and the tube-like overdrive. The m-80 seemed to be noisy, and the distortion wasn't anything spectacular.

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    IMO, the Tech21 is the industry standard and the MXR is the new kid on the block. I use the Tech21 to get a decent sound, not so much for o.d., and it is quite portable. Every bassist should have one in their gig bag. I used to use it as my main preamp(pre-Bass Pod Pro days) and you can get good tones out of it. Now I use it as my rehearsal amp(I plug direct into the board at our practice space and play through the p.a.), while the big rig stays in the trailer. Easy on the back! At least get one as a backup to your main rig. If something blows, you pull this baby out , go direct to the house and you're up and running before the guitar player finishes tuning for the next song. It's perfect!

4. I like what I hear so far...

5. The SansAmp BDDI is rugged and very well built hands down they can take abuse like no other pedal. Not to mention it's (almost) completely idiot proof, it can give you the most unique tones and grind of all tube bass heads. Great for distortion and recording, once you start studio work it could save you some costly setup time.