Under 16 and play? Read this

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by IncubusGuy, Nov 1, 2000.

1. IncubusGuy

Aug 11, 2000
    Hey, if you're under 16 and play bass, and play it well, reply to this. I just turned 16 and I think I'm pretty good, but I'd like to know what other people my age are like. Like what's the hardest thing you can play? And if you have any recordings I'd love to hear them. I have a recording of me just playing some stuff I know (Incubus, Primus and other assorted things). Well I hope to hear from some one.
  2. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I'm 17. Does that make me over the hill?
  3. IncubusGuy

Aug 11, 2000
    Yes, yes it does. Hehe.
  4. I´m 15... and I guess I´m OK... the best bassist in school!! (the only one :D) I haven´t got any recordings (yet) but I can play some songs... maybe I should make a solo cd and give every talkbass member it... :rolleyes: :p

I can play the super mario bros theme.. does that mean I´m good? :rolleyes: :D
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've been playing for 16 years. does that count? :D
  6. I act like I'm 16. Can I play?
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like to date 16 year old gir--- um, never mind, I probably shouldn't be saying this in public. Um, uh....
  8. I turn 15 next week, so I guess I'm in. I'm been playing for playing for 2 years, and I'm glad to say that I'm not a huge ego-maniac about it. I'm willing to say I need improvement, and I'm not going to say I'm good either, because some people, when they hear me, might think I suck. If you want to here a soundfile, E-mail me at bassline1414@yahoo.com and I'll send you one. Check my profile for my favorite bassists and musicians, you'll see I like a huge variety.
  9. I'm 15, so i qualify. I've been playing for 1 1/2 years, and anyone who doesnt play guitar or bass, thinks i'm good, really good. but anyone who does and has just started up till 2-2 1/2 years experaince thinks i'm good, and then everyone else with more than 3 years experiance thinks i'm "off in the right direction" so to say. What does all this mean? it means i'm good for how long i've been playing for, but i'm my own worst critic, i think i suck. but i use that in a good way to get myself to practice more.

On a side note, just so i can brag... wiht guitar, (octive up from bass, not a bass, but a guitar guitar) i've been playing for about 7 months, and i always tell the people that, after i'm done playing a piece. you should see their faces! its halarious, they think i've been playing for a few years, its really funny.
  10. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I'm 16 since October, so I join.
    First you have to know that I've only been playing guitar for a year and bass since January. I think I know quite well, but I'm not the reincarnation of Stanley Clarke...
    My friends always call me to play, because there aren't so many bass-players in our school. You know, everyone wants to be a solo guitarists. I have to say, most of them su**s!
    I only play with two of my friends - I hate the others -, for example we jammed three hours today, but the end turned into an eating-party :) .
    That's all.

11. I turn 18 in three months, do i qualify for the pension?? Seeing as you guys have set up a U16's club, can we start a RSL club?

Can have lawn bowls and chess, hell we should get a rebate for our fake teeth. :D

This is merls signing off and going to get his fake hips checked out.

*picks up walking frame and bass.... Clack clack, clack clack....*

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    How long have you been playing IncubusGuy? What exactly is the point of this? Is this like a a guitar ball-test or something? Id like to hear your playing.

But im 14, and have been playing 8 years. Does that exclude me?

And, LOL JT and Dave!
  13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I have a bass that is 16 years old. Does it qualify?...:)
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL, seems the poster isnt coming back.
  15. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    When I was 16 I thought I was damn good. :) Now (20 years later) I wish I was as good as I thought I was then. ;)
  16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I feel that way about more than just my bass playing...:D
  17. VicMan119

Oct 19, 2000
    Hey...well, I'm 15, and I spent a week with vic down in nashville about a month ago. I don't know how you guys set standards of good or bad....I mean, as vic said in bass day, you could put a baby on bass and it would get sounds that he could never get. Everybody has something in their playing that makes them unique, unless they try to reproduce and regurgitate everything they hear. So try not to judge yourself and others on scale of how "good" you are, just maybe how well you can express yourself through bass or music, and think about where'd you'd like to be, in ableness to express youreself the way you want to. It's a great point to be at.
  18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dude, this is like the third thread where ive seen you get philosophical! You dont need to! Its ok! The guy just wants to hear people play! :)
  19. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Mega....you're crackin' me up today!!...:D:D
  20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA