Under 30w amp for the casa...suggestions, opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon223, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Peavey Microbass (always there)

8 vote(s)
  2. Behringer T-Bird

0 vote(s)
  3. Vox T-15

2 vote(s)
  4. Ashdown After 8

9 vote(s)
  5. Other (please say which below)

4 vote(s)
  1. Hi all, i have a question and would like anyone with some experience in this field to help.
    I've got about 150 to spend on a wee-bitty amp. I would prefer to get the cheapest one i can, while still being good, to allow for some extra spending money on bass goodies like pickguards and pickup covers...etc etc.
    Has anyone played a vox T-15, or an Ashdown After 8? I can find the perfect ten and 5-15 all over, but not the after 8.

I wont be turning it up very loud, and i also wont be using it with any other instruments, so it doesnt really have to have much power, just enough to let me hear the full range of my bass(a 4 string).
    Thanks alot,any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. There is a thread and poll just like this one HERE

I think the Peavey Micro is a good bang for the buck!

3. I know, but that one doesnt have anything about the ashdown or vox t-15... and that was my main quiestion, although the subject might not have shown it. What is everyones problem with answering an individuals question? If someone has a specific question to ask, and there's a thread somewhat similar to it, it gets thrown out the window, just because somebody else posted theirs first. I dont think thats right.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You want cheap, go used.

I don't find it matters much which small practice amp you buy, just as long as it doesn't rattle or fart out.

I've had good luck with Crate, Peavey, Ibanez amps that I've bought for friends taking up the bass.
  5. I have a ahrtke b30 pucking 30 watts out an 8 inch speaker...for sale for 100$..u intrested?

6. Then you should have made a more specific post!

Talk to a mod if you have a problem with how the board is ran. I was polite enough to vote on your poll and offer you my advise. If it's not what you want to hear, that's your problem not mine!

You would have been better off posting a poll with just the ashdown or vox t-15....... and then compared (on your own) this thread with the info in the other thread to draw your conclusion.

7. I greatly appreciate your response, and i didnt mean to make it sound as though i didnt. I was only commenting on something on my mind. While the poll wasnt too specific, I believe the post was, but, Please, please dont take what i said the wrong way.
  8. I just bought a microbass for a microprice. $15! It sounds like it has some issues, but that's ok, for $15 bux I didn't think I could go wrong. (I are a enjunear ya know!) it sounds like an easy fix.

Everybody raves about this little guy, BP did a "shootout" a bit ago and IIRC it came out with the top tone award. YMMV.

The ashdown is probably a winner too. I hear alot of guys rave about the Pignose Hog 30, which is also battery powered I believe.

also check out the Fender bassman 25. I played through the 100 and thought it just rocked!

Just my $0.03CD.

Stay Low,

9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Peavey microbass.
  10. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I bought this Hartke B30 in 1998 for $139.95,it
    has been a great little practice amp. I still see
    them for $149.95.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 25.
  12. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Fender Bassman 25 :D IMHO
  13. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I have a 25 watt Marshall I am willing to sell for $100 (may seem slightly high, but the price includes shipping). It has never been out of my house and it seriously could pass as brand spankin' new. It's up at my other house right now, but I could have a friend ship it out for me. Let me know if you're interested, thanks
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I voted for the Ashdown, but another good little amp worth checking out is a Fender Bassman 25.
  15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  16. Jon223, hope we have been helpful and I really enjoyed reading Smash's review!

17. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Out of your choices, the Ashdown.

Im also more than happy with my Fender Frontman 15B. (No, not a bassman) :D
  18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

(I hope this sums up my feelings on crate ;) )
  19. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Fender Bassman 25 would be my suggestion, but at $270, rather than the $150 you've got, that probably doesn't help.

I would suggest you "try before you buy". Crank-up the volume and the low EQ and see if the amp makes rattling or "farting" sounds. In that price-range, most do - beware. Very sad.

The Bassman was the only one I could find that cranked-out the low EQ, but I didn't try the Peavey, or some others on your list.