1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Under-powering my HARKE LH500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by STRINGSLINGER, Jul 27, 2012.

1. STRINGSLINGER

STRINGSLINGER Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Omaha/Blair NE
    So, back in April of this year, while auditioning for the band that I am currently playing in my amp crapped out. I had a back up (an old acoustic head) but this was a live on stage audition and I quickly realized it just wouldn't suffice. Determined not to ever let that happen to me again I bought a new HARTKE LH500 the next day.

I LOVE this amp. Perfect for what I am doing with room to spare, or can I really spare it?

I have come to realize that atop of my Fender HM 215 (4ohm) or my acoustic stack (8-split or 4 ohm combined) it fills the room quickly. I have never had the LH500 past 2 on the volume dial.

I know I often tend to worry about things that I shouldn't, but I worry that I may damage the head at constant low volume playing.

Do I have anything to worry about.

Your input is much valued.

Attached Files:

2. You're only going to damage it if you run it into less than 4 ohms ... how on earth can you damage anything by playing too quietly?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Here's a fun fact for you. The actual 'power' amp side of your LH500 runs full out all the time. Your volume control effects what hits the power amp's input. So in fact while you've got it turned down, you're really playing it all the way up. :crying:

4. +1 You got nothing to worry about. I'm curious aswell to how you thought that would damage the amp.

5. PS I would add that I owned one of these heads (loved it, just wanted something smaller and lighter) and I can concur that it has loads of power to spare... not surprised that you are getting lots of sound with the volume at 2 on the dial. I find that the Mid eq dial has a lot to do with the effective volume on that head, btw.

6. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Look in the mirror and repeat this phrase 10x.

Maybe that will help.

7. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    I sometimes worry that when I'm going 35 in a 40mph zone that I'm damaging the engine. Hasn't happened yet, but ya'never know. Nice Roadstar, BTW!

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    NO!!!!

9. STRINGSLINGER

Mar 13, 2012
    Omaha/Blair NE
    Thanks for the quick replies, although I now feel slightly accosted.:eek:...:eek:....:eek:.....:eek::eek::eek:

I ask simply because I am no electronics engineer and I do not want to damage such a wonderful machine. So I figured I would turn my ear to the experts here on TB.

Thanks

10. STRINGSLINGER

Mar 13, 2012
    Omaha/Blair NE
    Thank you. I have been a long time fan of them. I only have two of them now that I have sold my RB885

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    TB at its best always leaves you feeling violated and abused while providing helpful information.

12. STRINGSLINGER

Mar 13, 2012
    Omaha/Blair NE
    +1 and that is why I like it here so much.

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Bahahahaha! We all do our part! :smug:

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You've nothing to worry about. If anything, it'll last you longer not cranking it full out all the time.

+1 to Mr. 'Skies description of the power section. The master volume is a poweramp input adjuster, not an output turner upper.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Listen pal, you got off easy.

:D

16. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Indeed! :D

17. STRINGSLINGER

Mar 13, 2012
    Omaha/Blair NE
    Thanks to all for being so gentle with me.

18. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    There are so many myths hanging around especially on the subject of underpowering that when the word is even used wee feel our hackles rise. If your system could be damaged by playing quietly it would be completely destroyed when you turn it off! I, for one, meant no offence with my rater short post. :D

19. I can barely hear my LH500 playing at 2.....the volume control is different on the LH series.

Are you running effects into the head? That may explain the output. If you are loading in a preamp or bass driver you could potentially hurt the head.

20. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    Ah, man. A dark blue one just like that white one in your pic was my main bass for years, till it got stolen. :crying: I searched the entire world (internet) looking for another to buy, and came up empty.

What model is it?