Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Under powering your cab????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panic_striken, Jan 2, 2006.

1. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    Ok, I know I am wearing some folks out with the cab questions today, but please bear with me :p Ok, say I do get an Avatar 410 Delta rated at 1400 watts RMS and then I add another Avatar 115 rated at 300 watts RMS. Well my head can only push 525 watts @ 2ohms. Will under powering these two cabs make them sound badly???

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No, they'll sound fine as long as you don't push your amp into clipping. I've run my Eden WT-300 (about 200 watts @8 ohms) into my D-410XLT (700 watts) many times, and it works just fine. Just don't push it too hard.

3. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    what munjibunga says. You'll hear many people say that underpowering a cab is bad for it but this is only if you run it into clipping...can burn out tweeters.

In general I prefer to have amps rated over my cabs for the clean headroom....frequently run a 1200-1400 watt head through a 600 watt cab. In this scenario you have to be careful too for obvious reasons.

4. Roger,

Don't you know that any clipping anywhere in the signal chain will instantly destroy your speakers and that connecting a cab rated for more power than your amp instantly causes the amp to clip? Or that clipping an amp into a cabinet rated for more power than the amp is worse than clipping an amp into a cabinet rated for less?

Things I have "learned" on TB..... :p :D

....Runs away laughing maniacally.... :help:

Panic_stricken: Sorry about the little rant there... :D That setup will work just fine. In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to damage anything under the worst circumstances. The amount of power a cab can handle is not an indication of how much power it needs.

5. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Learn to recognize T.O.F. (threshold of farting). When it hits, just back off on the bass boost or turn down your master volume a little bit. ;) ;)

7. funk2live

funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
    You shouldn't have any problem. Avatar rates there cabs at the total speaker wattage ratings. Which eminence highly overrates there wattages. I would be more afraid of overpowering an Avatar than underpowering one.

8. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I like that ...I'll have to use T.O.F. during my bass and amp demos.

9. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Which is the correct way to rate a cab since each speaker in the cab shares its fraction of the total load. If you have 2 speakers rated at 350 watts each, the cab can handle 700 watts.

10. funk2live

funk2live

Jan 4, 2006
    Speaker manufacturers are a lot like cab makers. There specs are a little opinionated. And even if the speakers will handle the power, the cab may not. If you cram a 1200 watt speaker into a 1' cube box, something will give.