Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

under string fender 51 pickup cover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Mar 27, 2005.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    does anyone know if someone makes a pickup cover for the 51 pickup,not the big chrome thing but something that goes under the strings so you can't get your strings stuck?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never heard of such a device. Question: how high is your pickup and how hard are you plucking? I've never had that problem on a SCPB.

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Occasionaly the string on my old Sting Sig P bass got stuck under the pup. I just had to take care - happened on a gig once, actually. There are reports on harmony central where people have ripped the entire pickup out by accident on the Sting basses. Haven't seen what you describe, I'm afraid. Good luck in your search! Question: Is it original or a reissue?

4. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    its a reissue,excellent instrument but when i really start to slam it i have that problem,last night it happened for the first time in public and it was a definite drag.maybe i will mod it myself.

5. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    . . . maybe you should play a bass better suited to your playing style?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Care to post a pic of what's happening? Only thing I can imagine is your pickup is MUCH too close to the strings and/or you're digging in WAY hard.

Ray

7. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    i know why it happens and i know it happens to other people,i just want to know if anyone has taken steps to resolve the fact that most later pickups have housings so this problem can't happen.it seems like its only a matter of time before some enlightened soul makes a little plastic or chrome housing for the pup.