Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Under the Fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MerryPrankster, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Why , (and I noticed this on every bass i have played) , that the underside of the fingerboard at the treble end is carved out. Why?

2. I would think either A: simply to remove weight, or B: to increase resonance. I would think that if to much were removed, the fingerboard would be inclined to flex in the upper positions, especially after it's been planed a few times and isn't so thick... I'd be interested to see what our luthiers have to say.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Weight, of course, and structure. The rounded shape underneath resists flexing better. I'm sure Bob B. would say it has a relationship to tone, but I am skeptical.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm sure Jeff would never admit this and expose his kind, but it's so that they're worn out after a few planings and you have to get another one. A sort of planned obsolesence, like the way that auto maker put thin rotors and non-rebuildable calipers in their brake assemblies so that you have to replace the whole thing after a set of pads or two.

:)

5. Whoaaa Ray...I always wondered about this and, thanks to you, I finally know. It's so amazing how they keep this stuff to themselves! :spit:

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    :)

7. wow, you guys make it sound like you get your boards dresses like once a season. if this is the case, the curve under your fingerboard is the least of your problems...

-keiran

8. Me and Ray....we're like Macho Pro Jazz Bassists. (MPJB)
    Ray has his board dressed once a month! :ninja:

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm actually due about every six months. Can't go more than a year.

10. wow, this blows my mind (sorry, been stuck in the classical world most all my life...) how often do you need a new board? with the board coming down, do you guys get new bridges more often? ever try graphite boards?

-keiran

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The current one has been on about three years and I've had the bass about 3 1/2. Shank says I have another 6-7 more touchups of the sort that I had the other day.

12. Man, I was just kidding. Obviously this FB stuff is directly related to how much and how hard you play.
    A guy like Ray, I happen to know him personally, plays hard and often with no amp sometimes. You figure a four hour gig, and 2-3 hrs. practice or whatever, you put alot of hours on a FB every day!
    My Bohmann bridge is on it's 27th year. Of course that's with adjusters.
    Search under fingerboards...my friend and luthier/partner, Bob Ross, has experimented with boards made from various combinations of wood particles/epoxy and some other mysterious stuff. Also our recovering knee replacement luthier Bob Branstetter has done some work with this material..I can't recall the name of it though....so, search.