underage musician

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Willie_the_Pimp, May 25, 2005.

1. Willie_the_Pimp

Apr 19, 2005
    I was just wondering how underage musicians get to play in bars and clubs. I have no idea how it could work
  2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    either you get a fake i.d. or it doesn't work
  3. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I don't know where you live, but around here if you are under 18 you can get a performers permit that will allow you to play in a bar. under two conditions: 1- You are only in the bar while setting up, performing, and tear down; 2- You do not drink while in the bar.
  4. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    i did it without one problem ever...
    but that was the 80's&90's...
    i just booked gigs and got stamped after sound check.
    try to dress decent, stand up straight and wear a hat if you got
    a baby face.
    most important:
    don't use alcohol or drugs at the venue, so age is not an issue
    to have to deal with.
    just enjoy the people.
    good luck
  5. yeah, this really bugs me. the usual BS. i spose laws are laws tho, right?

fake ID, looking mature and being mature are probably the best bets.
    around here there are many people who aren't bothered about it or think we are 18, so its not too bad.

also, if they dont ask, they dont need to know. if they do ask this just depends imo of the rep of the person you are talking too. if its a good place and they are strict and might hold a grudge, i wouldnt lie. just beg for the gig. a somewhat groggy place, id lie.

walk in as if you are the biz and ask about how to go about getting a gig. :)
  6. Willie_the_Pimp

Apr 19, 2005
    who knows where i can get a fake ID in Denver, CO?
  7. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably not the best idea to ask this question out loud. The answer definitely won't come this way, that I know. ;)

But the times I've seen not-yet-21'ers play in a bar, they usually come early before the show, have a heavy cab in their hands trying to squeeze through the door like they are late and have no time for petty ID checks because you've been here "a million times before". Then you never come back through the door until its time to leave.

get to know the bouncer AND owner really, really well. Try to get by doing a show where you really pack it in or make an impression. Oh, and of course you don't drink and the crowd you bring in is all of legal bar age. The bouncer you get more personal with and get to casual joking level.

But all of this comes crashing down when there is a different bouncer, owner is in a bad mood, gotta play in more than one club, etc. Can't rely on all this at all. The only thing I would rely on is that underage worker's permit thing that was mentioned or get older reeeal fast. Or...

OOPS, I accidentally brought my brother's/sister's/cousin's ID and they accidentally let me in! :eek:
  8. this doesn't always work...last sunday night i had to leave because the bartender was in the middle of a power-trip. i actually am friends with the bart owner, he works at the local guitar store as well and told me i could stay, but the bartender pulled the "but i am the bartender" crap and told me to get lost.
    as for the actual question, in Wisconsin you can be in a bar with your parent(s) and there will be no troubles. actually the guitar player's dad, the guitar player and I were taking jager-bombs right in front of the bartender that night and she didn't even care...she actually kicked us out because my girlfriend's parent's weren't there. we actually did bring in the whole crowd, since there were only 3 guys who weren't there solely to see us and they were the only other band to play. they were 3 older guys who when i left were playing "sleepwalk" or maybe it was called moonwalk...i can't remember...
  9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Umm, don't forget I said this part as well:

The whole thing and all the variables are thrown off when you are doing what they all fear the most, which is having underage people drink and you are posing to them the risk of losing their license, getting fined, etc, etc, etc. This is DEFINITELY not the way to making people feel comfortable about you, or any underage person, being in a bar.

It's a give and take. The give for them is to even let you in the joint. For you, it may be about doing the sober thing and become totally unnoticeable and harmless for the opportunity to play in a place where your music might be more appreciated by a crowd.

Just my thoughts...

10. i wasn't thrown out of the bar...my girlfriend was. my point was that she didn't have a guardian...she wasn't drinking...you can drink in a bar (in WI at least) if your parent buys it for you.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    So...you're angry about your girlfriend being kicked out of a bar that, legally, she wasn't allowed to be in seeing as how she wasn't with her parents? Dude, sounds to me like the bartender's just doing her job.
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i started playing in clubs and bars after the 8th grade - i never said anything and nobody asked BUT - my brothers would drag me to the gigs (some of the time i really didn't want to go) - but at least i was making really good money...
  13. no i'm not that angry, just upset that the bar owner said we could stay, while the bartender said go. usually the employee is subordinate to the empoyer...but no i am not angry about having to leave.
  14. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I started playing bars at 16 and never had a problem.
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've only been carded once, but the bouncer just let me play as long as I am either on stage or out of sight.

I probably should get a fake i.d., especially as I'm going to start playing at some new venues pretty soon, but having my hands full of gear as I enter seems to work pretty well.
  16. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    The bartender is the one that gets the fine...the bartender is the one that goes to jail.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    In my last band, our guitar player was underage. We had one gig in a bar. Not our typical venue, but it was a favor for a friend. The owner allowed him in as long as he stayed on stage, and left immediately after the gig.

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I wish I still got carded! :)
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For me and my friends its been easy.

If you are in the band no one cares how old you are.

It also helps if you look and act mature for your age. People assume our 17 year old drummer is about 24, so that's a definite advantage.

The best way to get by without being old enough or proper id is by growing a wicked beer.

I have my buddies who are 21+ asking me to buy beer for them even though Im only 20 because of it.

Really man, there are a million possible answers. What has worked for me is a combination of playing in laid back places or dives, acting mature, looking older, being in a band, not causing problems.
  20. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my band has always had atleast one member who was underage. wait, not anymore(since we "parted ways" with our 19 y/o guitar player).

usually they just mark your hands with big x's.