Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Underated GK 200MB, Avatar 210 and Eden CXC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noelpaz, Mar 27, 2003.

1. In Ebay and noticed that people are paying up to $500 for a GK (Gallien Krugger) 200MB. I own one and did not think of it a lot as a great amp. Used it mainly to record, acoustic jazz settings and to play an archtop guitar. I used to have an upright and bought the GK for this. Few days ago, I bought an Avatar B210 from eBay as an extension to my Eden Combo, but unfortunately I forgot the ohm ratingwas 4 ohms and I run the risk of destroying my Eden if I use it as an extension. So I use this cab with the GK and somehow, I am rediscovering that this is a great amp. Now I can push 200 watts out of the avatar (and hear hiss as well). No wonder people pay that much money for this discontinued combo. I am happy with the Avatars as well and somehow I am gald I got if for the GK. I cannot say that the Eden is better than the GK/Avatar. Just different. The Eden by the way is a 210 CXC and somehow if cannot be pushed to high volumes, the speakers fart, but not the Avatars or an extension 115 I borrowed. Eden has the hi-fi , slap happy sound while the GK has more of the old school finger funk thing going. Also you can overdirve the GK without much distortion. Not that I like to do it, but I just noticed.

Anyway any GK 200MB owners out there? How does this compare to the new ones from GK that are coming out. How come people are paying $500 for these. You can even get the new 400RB 210 combo for cheap.

BTW - I 've seen a lot of Avatar threads here, even comparing them with Aguilars. I am glad I got them - I don't know much about Aguilars, but low end aside looks like Avatars hang in with the eden to me.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used to have a GK200MB, and I'm still kicking myself for selling it. That's a kickass little combo.

I used it primarily for around the house practicing, but when my GK 2000RB took a heaping crap (long story), the 200MB plugged through a 2x15 cab really held its own at gigs with a loud blues band. It got hotter than hell, but it kept pumping away, and sounded great.

I had a real brain fart the day I sold it . . . and I'd like to buy another.

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I own a newer (well, 10 yrs old now) 150mbe combo and the bassist downstairs from me has a 200mb. It seems like my 150mbe gets a lot louder than his 200mb. I'm wondering if ther is something wrong with his amp. The 200mb sounds more transparent- less honkey mids, smoother bass but I have never tried his amp with an extension cab. These combos still have the best pound to sound ratio out there. I luv em!

4. I bought a 200MB from a guy for $100. It didn't work right (he told me about it) the sound kept cutting out. Well I shot a little pot cleaner in all the pots and voila! Good as new. I used it a couple of times, but not really one for the GK sound I sold it on ebay for over 3x the price I paid.

I now own another GK though, a 200RCB which is the head only version of the combo. It too doesn't work, bad stuff this time, but I'm on my way to giving it a new life. For $40 bucks and a little effort, not to mention about $40 in parts, I'll have a nice little head for my nice little 1x8 I made.

Small rocks!

Stay Low,

BT

5. Yes the MBE is louder than the 200MB just using the internal speaker. That is why I got the Eden Combo, because I though I needed a bigger combo. But with the right cab and ohmage (4 ohms), the 200MB is basically as loud as the older 400RB

6. The 200MB is a 100 watt unit while the 150 MB is 150 watts (both at 4 ohms). Naturally the 150 would be louder.

7. According to the printed manual that came with my amp - the external speaker can drive a 4ohm load to 200 watts. It is also silk screened on the back of my amp (1989 model). In the web (http://www.gallien-krueger.com/SUPPORT/Manuals/200mb.pdf) it says 100 watts at pg 4. My only experience is that I feel that when I connect a 4 ohm extension cabinet, this amp is as loud if not louder then my eden CXC-300 when the Eden is running at 200watts (internal speaker - 8 ohm). Also if you have extension with the internal speaker on, it is not as loud if you turn off the internal speaker (less impedance and in theory, boosts the wattage output). In a lot of reviews in the web - quite a number of people describe this amp as capable of driving 200 watts using external speakers. Maybe GK can give some clarification

8. I am a GK employee, but haven't been there too long. I'll double check with Bob Gallien tomorrow.

9. According to Bob Gallien, the 200MB was 100 watts at 4 ohms. The 400RB was 200 watts at 4 ohms. but that was a head, not a combo. Maybe you were thinking of that.

10. Okay agreed - if he says so -- then this is the loudest 100 watt amp I've ever heard (shakes the windows at 10 oclock master volume - 12 oclock gain -- passive Fernandes J bass (stock pickups I believe) full volume or my Eden CXC-300 is a lemon or Eden and Avatar 210's (I have both)efficeint cabs.

11. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I wouldn't trust 'im... how can you be sure he knows what he's talking about? :D

Your thread makes me happy 'cause I just bought a MB150, which at a monstrous 150W, should be even louder. Plus it fits in a backpack! Can't wait 'till it arrives...

12. Any chance you can get me a couple of pictures of the amp? Maybe the front, the back and a closeup of where it says 200 watts.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I have a pdf of the manual for the 200MB. It specifically says 100 watts at 4 ohms . . . I can e-mail it to whoever wants it (for some reason, it won't let me attach a pdf as a file on this forum).

My e-mail is eric.moesle AT att.net

14. Okay - I agree with everyone and GK's website information on the wattage of this amp. I am emailing tonight or tomorrow the picture of the back of the amp and if I can find it the printed manual as well. I did not buy this amp new (bought it in 94). It has a printing that says 3-89. I presume manufactured March 1989. Was something done to this amp other than GK original - I don't know - I guess I could open it up. Does anyone know how to figure out what the output of an amp is. I have a a digital volt meter and have some electronics experience. If it is 100 watts - I am still happy with it. It does what I need to do and loud enough with the extension cabs for the gigs I play. What is just surprising is the percieve volume difference from the external speaker on and when it is off and running through an external cab, not just a change of tone but the actual physical effect such as vibrating the windows, when the extension cabs are connected. I can make a test by going to my friends house (who has an Ampeg B-100) and miking the cabs running internally and with an extension, same settings, and maybe record the dB delta and somehow who knows sound engineering and analysis can tell me what's happening. One review in Harmony Central states that internally the GK 200MB is only running 50 watts. That's maybe why, and/or my Eden Combo has problems I don't know about.

Thanks

15. 200MB owner here....

I'm the original owner, bought it around 1989. This little amp was my trusty companion in the Navy, during A and C school I used it to jam with classmates. Then, while stationed on a cruiser, my 200MB went with me to the Persian Gulf and back.

Recently, I used it's preamp and DI for live gigs while my other amp was being repaired.

I'd be lost without it.:)

16. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    Yay zombie thread.

I have had a 200MB forever - bought it off a buddy 10 years before I ever played bass. Not *that's* GAS. Anyway, I like it OK. It works well. Not loud, but I use it for home. And if I had to get to a gig on foot, I guess that is what I would take.

Lately I have had my eye on those Line 6 Studio 110s. It only weighs 1 lb. more than the 200MB, so I think I can swing that. Also I prefer the sound of the Line 6, and the "modeling" thing the Line 6 does intrigues me. So I am GASsing for it.

I cannot in good conscience own both the GK and the Line 6. They are intended to perform the same function. Well, actually, I'm good with doing that; just don't see my way clear to justifying that to the wife, in light of other recent acquisitions (another bass, and *another* (!) cab !).) So I am thinking about selling the GK for Line 6 money.

Makes sense to me. But I have this nagging feeling that I have some sort of cult-following collector's item and I'd be a fool to sell it for some fancy newfangled trendy whatever. On one hand, that's a silly concern, because this is all subjective. I realize that I just said, "I prefer the sound of the Line 6". OTOH, I bet you that somewhere some guy traded a '75 P-bass for some cheesy crap bass b/c the crap bass was shaped like a "V".

If nothing else, the GK has held up incredibly well.

So I guess my question is, Is the 200MB *still* an exceptionally amazing little amp? Or, have other companies (e.g., Line 6) caught up in the tiny amp arms race?

--Bomb :bassist:

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Ok, zombie or not, your GK is a classic combo amp, the real deal. That Line 6 amp is, in my opinion, junk. I owned one, and ok, modelling is not my thing, I'd rather have one good real sound, than 4 or 5 pretend sounds. And that's all modelling is anyway, eq tweaks. If you don't mind, I'll tell you a story. Besides the Line 6 Studio 110, I've had one other modelling amp. A Vox AD50VT.(I may have the model # wrong, but you know the amp, it's for guitar) I set the AD50VT to the "AC-15" model, and A/B'd it against an actual Vox AC15. Not only was it night and day between the two, it wasn't even in the same ballpark. Sure, you can flip the switch over to another model, and it sounds different, but nothing like the amp it's supposed to be modelling. Not even close. It's just fancy eqing, and marketing. Sorry for the rant, I do feel strongly about digital reproduction of analog sound. Keep the GK, it's a great amp.

18. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    LOL I was afraid of that. Thanks, RickenBoogie. Developing a Plan B in which I do not sell the GK, and make a big point of buying the Line 6 with gig money. At fifty bucks a gig, and a gig a month, I can almost hear that sweet simulated Line 6 pretend sound now!

Almost!

Thanks again.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Now you're talkin'. Good luck Bomb.

20. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    So yesterday before rehearsal I went to a local used gear shop for no reason, and just sitting there was the GK 112MBX extension cab for the 200MB, which, also for no reason, I was taking to rehearsal that day. I have never taken my GK amp to rehearsal before, and that extension cab was not there the last time I was in that shop, recently. In fact, I was GASsing hard for that cab a few months ago and absolutely could not find one used, and didn’t want to throw down close to $300 for it new. Well, this shop had it used for $150, and, after my attempts at haggling were rebuffed, I bought it and took it with me to rehearsal, along with my 200MB, which, again, I was taking to rehearsal for the very first time and for no reason at all.

At rehearsal, the extension cab sounded great, but the combo, as usual, sounded like butt. With any volume at all it was distorting - or something - like crazy. At the end of rehearsal my guitarist told me that he thought he’d blown a speaker until he went into his amp and tightened all his connections, and then it sounded great again. I’ve always been pretty sure that I’d get electrocuted within minutes of opening up an amp, but I was desperate.

The 200MB is designed so that in order to get at the speaker you have to take the thing half apart. It takes a while, but I get in and, sure enough, all of the screws holding the speaker in place were loose. I tightened as best I could, reassembled, and . . . wholly carp. The thing sounds great. A little trebly when set flat. But the extension cab is a little light on highs. Together - fagetaboutit. I thought I didn’t like 12s. I might still prefer 10s, but 12s are OK!

I’m going to take her to rehearsal a few more times to see how she does in a (not especially loud) band setting, with a little juice going through her. But I feel confident that I resolved my issues, both with this amp in particular and my small amp needs in general.

So now instead of a $300, 75-watt, 24-pound 110, for $250 (I bought that 200MB for no more than $100 bucks like 15 years ago) I have (a) a 60-watt, 23-pound 112, *and* (b) a modular 100-watt 212 one-trip mini-rig for home, parties, whatever. I am psyched. (I may still get that Line 6 one day, but not any time soon, and maybe not at all.)

Thanks again, RickenBoogie, for the encouragement!

Hey - Last night I noticed for the first time the marking “4 - 84” on the back of the 200MB. Does that mean that it was made in April 1984?