1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Undergraduate/Graduate schools - what influenced your decision?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've been spending a few weeks looking at my options after I finish up my undergraduate work this year, which has raised my curiosity as to why people chose the colleges or universities that they did.

I chose Spring Hill College because of the chance to play soccer, excellent reputation, and Jesuit educational philosophy. It helps that they offered a pretty substantial scholorship, but I remember wanting to attend SHC even when I was in middle school.

Why did you choose your particular undergrad/graduate institution?

2. I went to Cornell because I thought I would be an engineer, but wanted to make sure that if I lost interest in engineering (which I invariably did) I would be at an institution that offered me an absolutely top-notch undergraduate education in just about any other field. I think it succeeded.

I did my master's in economics at USC because it's just about the most highly ranked econ department that offers a terminal MA (most only have PhD programs). Also, it offered January admissions at the time, and I wanted to get the hell out of my parents' house.

I stayed at USC for my PhD in urban planning because it has one of the best planning programs in the country, and being a private school is considerably more flexible with funding than its not-so-friendly rival across town. I also happen to like living in Los Angeles.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i looked into Universiry of the Sciences in Philadelphia because it was the first pharmacy school in america and has a great reputation in the field.

then they offered me to skip my freshman year and do their 6 year program in 5, so that's what sealed the deal for me :smug:

-jimbo

4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm hopefully going to University of King's College (that's weird eh? It's called that, but it resides within the Dalhousie Uni grounds, so it is a University) in the fall. Majoring in Journalism. Before it Ryerson was my first choice because it is world renowned for its program, but King's is radical for a different reason. Their first year program is something all the students take, and it is entirely devoted to combining philosphy, sociology, anthropology, english, history into one, and basically studying the basis for western thought. From Plato to Luther. God I hope I get in, that program sounds perfect for me, I love that stuff!

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    $

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Spring Hill, awesome! I have a friend who is attending that school right now. He seems to like it there well enough.

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Seems like this thread comes up with a different spin on the question every once and awhile. It's always fun though.

I'm at the University of Waterloo for Chemical Engineering (undergrad) right now. The reason I went there is more or less entirely the reputation of the school. It is a very good school, but I'm having to really stretch the constraints of my program to take a few courses I want and to get what I want out of it. Of course they've gone and improved the curriculum for those starting after me, so anyone who is considering ChE at UW now will benefit from that. At the time, I should have considered more seriously schools that had specific programs in the area I want to study, but I was not as sure of just what that was at the time. That, and I was convinced I didn't want to live in Toronto.

To give an answer that is really in the spirit of this thread, I'm strongly considering staying at Waterloo for my masters for one reason. I can start work on things in 4th year of my undergrad, and have an MASc 12 months after the BASc. Otherwise I think I'd be looking elsewhere. Also of importance is the fact that if I follow that up with a PhD (likely, if I do go as far as to get said MASc) it will probably be somewhere else, and that's what will matter.

8. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    You know my story. :D

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, for my bachelor's in electrical engineering, I chose UT because it was the best engineering school I got into, it was cheap, Austin is a cool town, and it's in Texas.

For my master's of engineering acoustics, I chose UT because it was about the only decent acoustics program that would accept me, it was free, I wanted to stay in Austin, and it's in Texas. :)

10. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The three biggest factors in my decision were degree choices, location, and size. I wanted a respected school with an associates degree program in electrical engineering so that narrowed things down alot. I also wanted something in the midwest (close to home) and fairly large. Going to a bigger school was important to me because of the extra opportunities it affords. More bands, better facilities, more extracurriculars, more class choices etc. I ended up at Purdue University.

11. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    That's why I'm currently working on my bachelors in EE at UT.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have a full national scholarship for my Master's (www.nserc.ca). I chose my school based on the need for it to be in Canada (scholarship requirement) and on it being the only school in the country with a machine of the type I wanted to work on.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    WWU-

They cover all of my tuition and then cut me a check for $1,600 each quarter on top of it.

I already knew a few musicians in the area, it is close to the Canadian border, they have three profs in my field of African History/Studies, the music scene is pretty hip, it was away from home, and everyone is laid back.

14. I started off in community college because it's extremely cheap and only a five minute commute.

I chose University of Houston to finish because of my band and our record contract, I have to live in Houston for at least a few more years, and it's the only public university around (and thus will accept my CC credits). But they have a great business program (my major anyways), so even if I'm forced to go there, it's not all bad.