Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

underpower/overpower revisited

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by estrauman, Feb 6, 2006.

1. estrauman

estrauman

Dec 23, 2004
    I was reading the thread below and had a separate question. Would running a Bassman 135 hard into a 600 watt speaker (Avatar 115 cab with Emenence speaker) risk damaging that speaker due to excessive clipping or peak wattage increases? Please pardon my ignorance. I'm normally a guitarist and would think nothing of driving a 40 watt speaker with fully cranked 20 watt amp. Do the low frequencies of the bass change this equation though? Thanks for your enlightenment.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if by "hard" you mean into audible distortion, then YES you'd risk overheating the voicecoil and breaking the speaker.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No. Audible distortion, in and of itself, does not fry speakers.

4. You should read the original overpower/underpower thread. Pay particular attention to Bob Lee, Jerrold Tiers, Tadawson and Herman for the real scoop. ;)

As for the original question: You'd be hard pressed to damage that cab with that amp assuming you don't use really radical low EQ. The Bassman 135 could, at the ultimate limit, put 270W into the cab. A 600W rated cab can easily dissipate that.

5. estrauman

estrauman

Dec 23, 2004
    I should clarify -- I'm not looking to run the amp for full on distortion. I just figure that with a 100 to 135 watt amp there will be some peaks that will overdrive from time to time. Also, does clipping from a solid state output section differ to that of a tube output section with regard to effects on your speakers? Obviously there are differences in harmonics and how our ears here the different "clips", but do speakers react differently? Again, I apologize for my ignorance -- I'm a guitar player.